Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 AM

bongy is on a distinguished road

Here are some LED tanks from some of my clients.

Disclaimer: I am also the manufacturer and designer of the InWatter LED. Not really trying to promote our products as we don't sell to Canada yet but want to point out that LED tanks (any brand) can look great if done correctly. (ie using good quality chips to start with)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s_IMG_7870_web.jpg (111.7 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg s_Client1Tank_web.jpg (76.8 KB, 307 views)
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 AM

ProReef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
No, you don't understand. My really complex electrical project right now is connecting my fans to the adapter Me and wires, well, not so good. And the intricate detail work, not really me either.

So I'll put my name up tho for a rain check on the building, just in case I ever change my mind -lol
Hey Brad...we both know some one with a slight nerd wiring skill-maybe he could help!!! Cheers Ronnie
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I have to admit, the light looks good from these, and some of the control features are, well, cutesy. Nothing like a good lightning storm over a reef, not that I would use that feature.
I've read a few threads where people reported good or great results with SPS tanks, but only for a limited time. I guess when some RC TOTM with neon colors gets posted, and a subsequent follow up 2 or 3 years later shows consistent results, I would consider it. Assuming I could do it cheaper than today, and/or someone was going to build it for me.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProReef View Post
Hey Brad...we both know some one with a slight nerd wiring skill-maybe he could help!!! Cheers Ronnie
Pretty sure he's booked up for the next little while on these projects

I was over there the other night, and his setup is certainly nice, and the color is awesome, but again, no long term history to consider yet.
I know what my 400w radiums can do in a year, I haven't seen the LED results yet, or not enough anyway.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Read my mind Brad. Yeah they do look nice but I always adopt what's got a solid track record already. I don't have the budget to experiment or take many chances.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I looked at one of these the other night, and wasn't impressed. The spacing on the bulbs causes a flicker between the blue and white lights in the shimmer you get through the water. Also, the indivudual pods of lights were too far apart, causing different areas of brightness, even over individual corals near the surface.
I also looked at a DIY light and was much more impressed.
Brad, does some one here on the island have one? I wanted to take a look at one in person for some comparisons.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
Brad, does some one here on the island have one? I wanted to take a look at one in person for some comparisons.
Ya, Gareth's mother-in-law has one.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 AM

Lego is on a distinguished road

I think madreefer was talking about me... all good. Here is how the conversation sparked. I have a 120g 4' x 2' x 2'. I have a ballast that is no good anymore. so I need a ballast.... I also need bulbs as I am due for new bulbs... I would need two... Most likely need a new pendant for my new ballast I have to replace... maybe... maybe not.

But lets pretend for argument I'm a newbie and I have to get new stuff to get my tank running.

$70 for a bulb
$130 for a pendant
$140 for a ballast
_________
$340 for 250w setup on the cheaper end......

4' tank I should be running 2... so I'm $680 now.

Vertex is just releasing in Feburary a new LED setup that is $500 or $580ish can't remember right off the top of my head for the 4' bar. No controller to make a pretty lighting storm as I wouldn't care for that anyways. Also a MH can't do that unless were starting them up for the split second you might get one

I can also add more bars if need be.... 60,000hrs of life 2 year warranty.

I think the cost is coming inline as in start up costs.

Now let pretend cost isn't the concern right now... just the growth of a health aquarium we are all suppose to have I don't like killing corals and it is also killing my pocket book

Who is seeing growth from the LED lights?? how long have you had them? can you show a photo? Just to help us on the fence people. I believe in MH but looking for a longer term light.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 AM

Jackie is on a distinguished road

Left: Weipro LED
Middle: KEY Aquarium LED
Right: Marineland Reef LED
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

This is no where near 100g but here is my Led lit tank now in CUC added mode.
It uses 3 par38 spotlight leds.
1 27w IceCooLed (Oceanic Corals for purchase) 12k (but looks like 10k to me)
2 21w Nanotuners 12k

Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..