Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-01-2006, 02:30 PM

Montana is on a distinguished road
Angry Goniopora

I am going to vent, I recently 4 months ago started to put coral in my tank,So i am still depending on fish store owners to help and tell me what kind of coral it is that i buy (sometimes) and inform me some what ar the kind of conditions that the coral need to survive, Last weekend i went to oceans and purchased what i was told to be a green polyped lps. He told me that it doesn't recuire any special treatment just pc lighting and photo or zoo plankton, so i bought it and 2 days later i did some research and found out that i had purchased goniopora and the survival rate at best with an expert level reefer is 8-12 months, now i have some coral that i have to wait to die because no one knows why they don't survive, why are these lfs even selling sure death to consumers,
anyways i am going to try my best and maybe do more research before hand.
thanks for listening.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Gools is on a distinguished road

You should take the coral back to the store, and get your money back. Unless you feel up to the challenge of keeping it. Best of luck
Old 04-01-2006, 04:38 PM

Keana is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Keana Send a message via Skype™ to Keana
Default ReefRoids

Hi, I got a florescent yellow/green short tentacle from King Ed's about 10 days ago. It is/was in really ruff shape. ReefRoids was designed for this very coral and the particle size/taste is what they should respond to. I don't know that mine or yours will live? However I can report that with target feeding for reefroids and dt's everyday mine is coming out all the time and most of the day and is showing signs of life. This coral I got is half dead, now I would say 1/2 alive. Here's for hope! I should also add, I do lots of water changes on my tank already so I can cope with the extra nutrients.

As for LFS not telling people these things....... They all do it, all of them that I have ever shopped in or worked at. Even the LFS that say they don't, do, as my experience goes. Some staff just don't know themselves, think that you already know, or don't think it's there place? They are a store and will sell what people will buy. I think we would all like to see that change. We all want the cool colorful corals, fish, & inverts. But we want what is possible to keep not just what is florescent and exotic.

Keana

Last edited by Keana; 04-01-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:53 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

If you haven't read these yets, these might help.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

http://www.goniopora.org/feeding.htm
Old 04-01-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Thanks for the links....

Thanks for the links.

I think all reefers must be color junkies?
Old 04-01-2006, 06:14 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Return it immediately to the LFS for a full credit.
It is better that it dies in their tank than in yours. Than, maybe they will quit bringing them in until experts can accommodate their needs.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:08 PM

fortheloveofcrabs is on a distinguished road

The same thing happened to me with an alveopora. They wouldn't let me take it back. That's right, I called LATER THE SAME DAY I BOUGHT THE CORAL and they said too bad so sad. I don't think LFS's realize how bad this is for business. I will NEVER trust anyone at AI again.

Have a good one!
Old 04-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Mine was hurt'n

I knew when I got mine that it was in bad shape. So, I'm taking a bigger risk than I thought but still it was a risk. When I got it I wasn't told, if they knew, that they "always die". I was told it might do better in a good lighting spot. I am still hopping that it will go alright?? My tank is a nutrient dense tank and I do water changes all the time. I run my skimmer & carbon for 18 hours a day, AquaClear 500 with cheato running all the time, but just started & going very well. Before that I had a EcoSystem I got cheep so it was cool. I feed on a daily basis and shave 3 cleaner shrimps in my 27gal so as to always have a couple with babies. The links that were posted here seem very helpful. I haven't read them fully yet but mostly. Thanks for those....
Old 04-02-2006, 04:39 AM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I have an alveopora that I got abouta year ago. Its doing fine with no special care. It extends its polyps fully all the time, and has increased in size since I got it. Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but don't give up too easily. I don't feed anything in particular for it, but I believe that it must get residual nutrients from feeding the fish.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:08 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider
I have an alveopora that I got abouta year ago. Its doing fine with no special care. It extends its polyps fully all the time, and has increased in size since I got it. Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but don't give up too easily. I don't feed anything in particular for it, but I believe that it must get residual nutrients from feeding the fish.
I have an alveopora as well and my feeling on it is that it is not a difficult coral. It doesn't require target feeding and has been growing well. I've split my colony into 3 pieces with 1 in my main tank under halides and the other 2 in my nano under 18w of light. I'm not really sure why goniopora and alveopora are clumped together sometimes.

Last edited by Samw; 04-02-2006 at 07:54 AM.