Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-15-2011, 04:49 PM

yellowworld is on a distinguished road
Default New Sump BIG PROBLEMS!! HELP

Hey guys, I have a 90 gallon tank witch just had a glass box under it before, i had yet to put my baffle into it, it is cycled and i finally got around to it last weekend. I got it all together and running right, but i noticed my water was looking a little cloudy. I thought first off it might be the extra water i added to the system so i added two massive bags of carbon and waited but it didn't help, I now tried a 25% water change and that hasn't helped out either. Now im thinking it has something to do with the type of silicone i used. I have used it before on numerous set ups with out any problems, how ever they were much smaller.

I used this stuff right here http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/G...t/274?RefID=CJ

dose anyone have any thoughts that can help me out? My corals are looking very sad and right now i'm adding bacterboost, and a stress reducer to keep them a bit happier.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:52 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

I don't think Kitchen & Bath silicone is good to use because of what they add to it to make it mildew resistant.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 PM

H22_TURBO is on a distinguished road

yeah you don't want to use anything with any mold/mildew protection. I would drain it, cut it out, and re-silicone it with 100% silicone. use ge1 door and window silicone.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

H22_TURBO is correct, dont use anything with additives, the window door stuff is good, as long as it is 100% silicone

Steve
Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22_TURBO View Post
yeah you don't want to use anything with any mold/mildew protection. I would drain it, cut it out, and re-silicone it with 100% silicone. use ge1 door and window silicone.
Alright I can do that, Ill drain my sump tomorrow, however with the water still kinda hazy do you have any solutions to that? I tested everything and it is still well with in norms. My thoughts were the antimold agents might be breaking down my good bacteria. Would adding something like bacterboost of stability help in fixing that with a few 25% water changes? Im worried about the health of my corals, some of then are looking pretty pathetic especially my pulsing xenia.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 AM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

How long did you wait for the silicone to cure before filling? Everyone is correct.. Never use silicone with mildew resistant additives.

I'm not an expert but I'd I had done this by accident I wouldn't necessarily worry about my bacteria being killed off but more that it was actually killing my corals. I would also worry about other things leaching into my live rock and staying there permanently. If you have to wait until tomorrow then do so but I would get it out out ASAP and then do a couple of pretty substantial water changes to try and get rid of what has leached into the water.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 AM

Thanks, should i be worried about it continuing to leach into the water? should i pull the sump and change all the silicone? or should i just do a few heavy water changes? secondly how come only my corals have been effected by it? my fish and crabs and snails are all more then healthy, no breathing problems or loss of appetite and they are all still very active
Old 07-17-2011, 04:36 AM

tinman is on a distinguished road
Default Sump

If it were me I would pull the sump if possible and do a water change and also get some carbon going in a high flow canister filter.......go to home hardware they have the silicone you need says right on the tube aquarium safe and cheap like 3 big tubes for 10 bucks. Then redo the sump and razor blade it super clean,rebuild it and let it set up for 24 hours then you should be good to go.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 AM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

It is tough to say. Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe something will leach out over a long period of time. Who knows... people just say not to use silicone with mold resistance in it.

I guess you could be our guinea pig and let us know how things are doing in a few months.

If it were me, I would have ripped everything out and re-done it because I don't like the risk. But if you have had no problems with it before then let us know if anything bad happens.

I was suggesting the water change only after you changed the silicone (if you changed it) to make sure that any chemicals that were leached into your water was reduced so that it would be less concentrated. Doing it now may or may not do anything since you are just keeping it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowworld View Post
Thanks, should i be worried about it continuing to leach into the water? should i pull the sump and change all the silicone? or should i just do a few heavy water changes? secondly how come only my corals have been effected by it? my fish and crabs and snails are all more then healthy, no breathing problems or loss of appetite and they are all still very active
Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 AM

tinman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowworld View Post
Fish have a liver corals dont