Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2015, 04:32 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Alkalinity consumption rate

It turns out I've been dosing my two part chems all wrong for like the last year and a half. I'm an idiot, and it's probably responsible for a fair portion of the issues I've had (a coral killing home renovation not withstanding).

Anyway, I've fixed it, and since then my corals have just taken off. Not surprisingly, my consumption rate of chems has also taken off.

Since I clearly have no idea what I'm doing 7 years in to this, I just want to get a barometer for how much others who are using a 2 part recipe are dosing. I'm using Tropic Marin's 2 part, and I *think* they use sodium bicarbonate (though it might be soda ash), and through the magic of grade 10 stoichiometry I've figured out that I'm adding roughly 45.36 g of the stuff to my tank every day, and seeing as my dKH fell 1.01 in the last 48 hours that's not enough.

It seemed like a lot, because when you mix it up in to solution at Tropic Marin's recommended concentration that works out to 540 ml/day, but now that I've equated that back to dry weight it really doesn't seem like that much to me considering how many large SPS corals I have. One of the glass vials from a hanna checker weighs 11 grams empty with no lid.