Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 AM

jassz is on a distinguished road
Default Saddle butterfly with sore lips?

Hello all.

I posted awhile ago about my newly aquired double saddled back butteryfly not eating anything that I feed him. That is still the case, although he 'almost' ate a silverside tonight. He does however continue to peck at the live rocks. I'm not sure what all he's eating, but definitely aptisia. Anyway, the very end of his pointed lips is becoming redder, and the skin beneath this area chaffed. I observed him hitting his chin against the rock with a swing of his head (so it was deliberate), so I think that is the cause of the chaffing. I'm not sure if the rock hitting is a reaction to the sore lips, or if it is a cause of it. I read these are hearty fish, but can easily be damaged in transport. Maybe I even did it myself when I brought him home. The bag he was in sprung a leak so I moved him to another bag rather than just putting him in the tank without acclimatizing him. I was panicking a bit because the water was squirting out and I knew I had to hurry. Anyway, whether I did it or he came from the store like that (he didn't eat in the store either), the fact is I think he's got some sort of irritation or maybe infection going on. Is there anything I can do for him? He's still pretty active, and still eating, but he's getting a little 'twitchy', and as I mentioned he does the rock bash thing.

Anyone else had this problem?