Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

I gotcha! Steve knows his fish
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I want to live in your fish room. Is that weird?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:24 AM

Nope, bring a pillow
Old 11-28-2013, 04:34 AM

Not the greatest shots but you can get the idea from them

There is a valley through the middle of the tank and two dominant structures to either side. The left has a large cave under it and the right has a high arch and a bit of a cove feature. The water will flow in a counter clockwise direction when looking at the tank from the front. High energy from the lower left and top right (moving left). The lower energy will be the lower right hand side of the tank and the sand. I really wanted to add more rock to "join" the structures a little more but I keep telling myself "no, the corals will do that in time!"

Left

Right

From the right viewing pane

Old 11-29-2013, 02:38 AM

Doc_Polit is on a distinguished road

Nice looking scape. I like it.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:32 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

I love your setup
Man going through the pages making me want to start my build sooner than I am suppose to...
Old 11-29-2013, 04:42 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Nice work with the rocks!

Man, pity about the Emaco. Was thinking about you as I had some concrete to fix in my basement floor and I ended up using some of my R400 because I really didn't want to run to HD anymore that weekend. The bag's been open for 2 years and at the time I bought it at half price because it was past it's "sell by" date (who knew concrete had expiry dates). Anyhow the stuff is good as a filler but maybe on account of its age it was no good anywhere where I put it on thinly (just crumbled to dust after it dried). So it sucks but I think I have to chuck out the last bit of it. A bit disheartening to hear we can't get it up here in Canada anymore. That makes no sense .. but yet another thing to add to the long list of things that don't make sense "because Canada" like 30% more expensive whatevers. Sheesh!

But I digress... Awesome aquascape!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 AM

I shouldn't say I couldn't get it, more so I chose not to. BASF retailers wanted ~$1100 for one 55lbs bag and 4 containers of the polymer. The product itself was about $200 of the cost. Shipping was $900.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I just need some coral to fill it up now
Old 11-29-2013, 05:08 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow that's crazy.. Yeah epoxy looks mighty fine. A wee bit less than $900 to ship too..
Old 12-10-2013, 06:39 AM

I am going to grab another mp40 and have two on the left side creating flow across the bottom of the tank from left to right. Then I am hoping by having the three returns on that side all aimed high they will continue moving the flow to the overflow weir. That should get as much of the surface skim as possible to the sump. The other three mp40's will be along the back of the tank pushing to the front.

I am hoping to take some of my corals from the 40g and transfer them to the 270g. I will have to wait and see if the peppermint shrimp have cleaned up my aptasia problem or not. I don't want to willingly add aptasia to my new tank if I can avoid it.

My nitrates are at ~10 and the phosphates are at 0.1. I have GFO in place for the phosphates, but decided not to run my biopellet reactor until my A200 for the bottom sump is installed. The Quietones 6000 didn't have the juice to run the reactors and the return tot he top sump. I bet if I had a ball valve on the return to the top sump I could have got the bio pellets churning a little better but that defeats the purpose. The cleaned water needs to get back into the top sump.

Also, I am going to pick up some tumbled marble tiles for frags. I am going to use them in the frag section of my top sump after soaking them to leach out any bad stuff.

I should be home in 10 days and get back to work on the tank when I can around the holidays. Right now my three fish from the 40g are transferred. A yellow tang, royal gramma and long nosed hawkfish. I also added a small clean up crew to start dealing with the small amount of algae that's starting. There are 4 conches, some cowries and some turbo snails. Oh, I also moved my long spine urchin into the 270g as well. Really all there is left to do is move the corals

Cheers,
Scott

Tags
abyzz, bubble king dc 250, mitras, profilux 3, reef