Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

I think fluval edge would be way too small for the fishes to be in quarantine; especially since you have a big tank and will be buying some biggy fishes! I am no expert but I think for you tank size, you should atleast get a 20 long or possibly a 40 breeder as quarantine tank.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

Ya i think you are probably right .
I will probably try and find a 10 gallon at minimum . This project keeps getting bigger every time I turn around .. What a huge difference between the workload and system requirments of a freshwater tank compared to a salt water one ..

Well this afternoon my Tank and sump will be entirely full of RODI water .
My first stage sediement filiter (.5 micron) is very very yellow looking .
It has passed about 500gallons through it.So I will be picking some of those up today.
Luckliy there is a place in vic that stocks all sorts of RODI equipment.

So tonight i can finally add the salt .. Damn near a whole buclket i might add..
I need to get a QT tank asap , so i can cycle it and get this party started.

Tank details so far

36x28x25h tank , 110g
36x16x16 sump . 40g
(2) eheim 150w submersible heaters new
(2) hydro evo 750 gph power heads new
reef octopuss nwb-oct150 skimmer used
mag 9.5 return.
couple of temp gauges
vertex refractometer.. neet little trinket
1 250 metal halide setup .. ( likely need a new bulb )
mag float cleaner

Wish list
1.Some sort of controller
2.Auto top off system
3.Build complete RODI / SW mixing and storage setup .
4.Purchase spare (salt, bulbs , return pump, and test kits)
5.LED lights one day
6.Generatot or battery back up one day

And of course stock the damn tank lol
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

I would keep an eye on your po4. I used marco rock and experience a terrible bout of hair algae from them leaching phosphates. So far your planning seems good. Diatoms will go away after the silicates in the sand get used up. As long as you add in your fish slowly. I bet you could add in a hardy smaller one or some more cleaners
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
I would keep an eye on your po4. I used marco rock and experience a terrible bout of hair algae from them leaching phosphates. So far your planning seems good. Diatoms will go away after the silicates in the sand get used up. As long as you add in your fish slowly. I bet you could add in a hardy smaller one or some more cleaners

Sort of the natural cycle, Tanks are never really "cycled".

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM

Your going to jave to come over sometime soon to get a few more things to fill up that tank!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 AM
Islander

well since no one else is playing along ..
Yes Mrhasan .. i did indeed order myself a new black mitras .

So it should be here early this week .. I am excited .

Some news on my vertex libra ..
I opened it up and did a test run on all 3 pumps .. Pump number 1 was very rough sounding .
Took it in to have it looked at and they confirmed the issue and are ordering me a replacement .
Looking forward to getting that back and start watching my water prams .

I need to come up with a small cabinet to place next to my tank to house the doser , controller and doser containers .
I really want to keep all those fancy electronic items away from the humid salty air under the tank..

Anyone have any ideas for a tank side cabinet ?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 AM

Duker is on a distinguished road

sweeet ghl mitras, i would love to see it. from what ive been reading they are the ****
seems as though everyone is selling their radions and aqua illuminations to get these. Hmmmm glad i waited to go LED. new builds are fun hey? and jon i too still have some sweet zoa frags for sale and quite a bit of sps frags that are ready to go too, to help u fill up ur tank.

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
sweeet ghl mitras, i would love to see it. from what ive been reading they are the ****
seems as though everyone is selling their radions and aqua illuminations to get these. Hmmmm glad i waited to go LED. new builds are fun hey? and jon i too still have some sweet zoa frags for sale and quite a bit of sps frags that are ready to go too, to help u fill up ur tank.

I think i will still take you up on a zoa frag . thanks . And I would like to check out your setup as well . everytime i meet a new reefers tank i always learn a bit more . everyone does things a little different ..

So I am due for a little update ..

Ok so , I got my second Vertex Libra .. This one is top notch out of the box . so all is well.
So I gathered up the apex , the libra and quickly realized that i had literaly nor where to put this stuff . lol ..
OFF to the garage to build a mini cabinet to hold the equipment . I wanted something that looked like it kind of was ment to be there . And i wanted it to hold all aquarium electronics . To save them from moisture etc

Took 5 hrs from wood to stained .

Then i rushed to drag it into the house too show off to the wife .. Well it let vapours into the air for 3 days lol not cool .

but i got started the next day on wiring everything up .

then once everthing was in place .. my struggle began with the APEX networking into my house.
I stayed up till 4 in the morning trying to get the wireless game adapter too even hook up to my router. I gave up ..
Next day went back to future shop .. Bought a netgear wireless adapter and bam .. was hooked up in minutes. I spent the rest of the morning tinkering with the apex online .. I love it so far .. Was so happy i went and picked up and additional ep8 power bar.. For expandability etc.. so far so good.

Then my Mitras came in ... ran to Blueworld at 5 pm to get them.. Got home and had them hung in a matter of 20 minutes ..

But my hapiness was quickly met by more software frustrations.. the Mitras will NOT connect via usb to a windows 8 pc .. I tried every darn trick on the net to no avail.
So the next day i sourced a differnt laptop and quickly got into tinkering with the lights .. so far i have no idea what im doing lol .. But i uploaded a light program from Rice Reef .. THANKS buddy for emailing that to me soo quick!

I then moved on to complete wire organization.. i spend hours trying to zip tie and route wires in a clutter free manor , I cleaned up everything under the sump .. I also installed some under counter mount LED lights to the cabinet and sump area so i could see something for once.
Got tired of holding the blackberry in one hand over the water to see lol..

well I have a whole wack of coral in the tank now .. So figured i should do my first water tests for the big 3..

ALK 7.5
Mg 1050
Ca 350
salinity 1.025

Guess i have work to do !
Will get on a few water changes here to try and raise that .. then decide what and how to dose ! and quick im guessing ..

All the corals are doing great .. Thanks RICE ...

off to bed ..
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Looks slick, good job! Is that HLG driver for the Mitras?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferfulton View Post
Pulled out 2 more little nudi's today !! any chance I can just manually control these little buggers for ever ?
Your yellow coris should eat those buggers

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2