Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default Reflection of the past yr

It's been 11 months since I got into the SW hobby(job) and its been a roller coaster yr it's had it's ups and big downs and constant check on my bank account

Even though I started with the basics a tank and stand, heater and a net I still ended up sinking just over $1400 into my 33 gallon associated toys that go along with SW buckets, salt, RO filter and other goodies.

I have had a total of 22 coral In my tank I now have 14 lost some due to bad acclimation, not enough light, tank crash, unknown causes and death by cat.

I have 7 fish in my tank had 4 green chromis and one suicided by cat, one dove into my running power head, one died from unknown causes. I have restocked with three more chromis and one has since again suicided by cat and the other 3 are happy fish. My lawnmower Blennie is ruler of the tank, neon goby is the class clown and yellowtail damsel is the loner.

My CuC of snails, crab, shrimp and hitch hiking star fish have been highly entertaining I have had 1 crab take a wild ride on one of my cat's ear, another one get eaten by another cat and a couple die off. The snails are sex addicts every few weeks see a new batch of snails I am thinking of signing them up for a Dr. Ruth consultation and my peppermints and star fish are invisible stalkers of the night.

I have had a partial tank collapse, low and high salinity, dirty water, 2 cats fall in, equipment malfunctions and headaches galore.

Now with all that being said I am upgrading to a 95 gallon within the next couple of weeks and my only question is WTF am I upgrading to even more headaches and never ending work. Must be titched in the head or I must enjoy empty wallet syndrome or both.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
..my only question is WTF am I upgrading to even more headaches and never ending work. Must be titched in the head or I must enjoy empty wallet syndrome or both.
You've come to the right place. We feel your pain.. and your excitement.. and your future pains and excitements. It doesn't really ever end. If you're at it long enough you just get numb
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

We've all been there.

The great thing is that you've learned so much and should be able to setup the new tank with so much more experience!

The thing I learned about my current setup (which is my 3rd salt setup) is that going really slow helped this time. I also came up with a system that allowed for quick water changes with no lifting of buckets to drain or fill the tank. Maintenance is minimal and when there is some maintenance, everything is setup the way I like it and so that it doesn't take hours... Just minutes to do a task.

Good luck... And yes ... We are all a little crazy.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

One of the smartest things I've done is stop keeping track of how much I've spent on this hobby
If I can afford to buy a particular piece of equipment I need, then I buy it. If I can't, I don't. But NEVER keep track, LOL. Especially on paper or a file somewhere where your wife or significant other can find it and see what you've spent.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Here's an honest answer for you. I wish I hadn't gone bigger. I have found my interest has waned, I don't deal well with loss, especially since setting up and losing my most expensive corals that thrived in my smaller tank. Costs are not the issue for maintenance, but I just found maintaining the smaller system was easier, took less money to fill with corals. I've thought about getting out but as I bought almost all of my equipment new, I'm gonna get my money's worth and keep it going. I've thought of going to a fowler or downsizing but the tank was a gift from my family and means a lot! Whatever size you go to, make sure its not going to overwhelm, become a chore to look after and fits your lifestyle.