Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM

MicroTankin is on a distinguished road
Default Location for PVC parts needed!

Hey Everyone, New to the forum and calgary. I have done a lot of fresh water and a little saltwater but now I am really getting into reefin! I need a bunch of PVC parts. I am looking for a good place to get PVC parts, diy bulkheads ect. I am wondering where you guys all get your stuff here in calgary (pls don't say Home Depot <---their selection of pvc sucks!!) Anyways thanks for the info......I will start posting tank build stuff soon!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Rona is good for Union fittings, but the best selection is Wolsely Mechanical Group(plumbing division).

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

There really isn't a good one stop shop for the best selection of PVC parts.

I sympathize about the Home Depot selection, it can be really hit and miss. Sometimes they have what I need, sometimes not, but it's hard to beat the convenience of location since they're everywhere.

The Rona by my work though generally has a pretty good selection (this is the one on Macleod Tr). They have a decent selection of valves, unions, couplers and elbows. They have a basic selection of bushings but not a complete selection there.

Otherwise I usually just go to Western Pump (just by the south Princess Auto in the Douglasdale industrial area). They'll have street fittings, just about every kind of reducing bushing combo (slip vs slip, slip vs threaded, etc.), unions, valve, and they have half-union valves.

If you want a true-union valve though (the kind where you have two unions flanking the actual valve), or a gate valve, you pretty much have to mail-order this from a place like J&L, or bulkreefsupply.com ... unless Red Coral happens to have the exact piece you need (they do have a reasonable selection of PVC bits in that shop).
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Rona is good for Union fittings, but the best selection is Wolsely Mechanical Group(plumbing division).
Hey Mike, where are they? Tried looking them up, they seem to have a bunch of locations.

Is this the one to visit? http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=10775+-...xu9q2mawaDQ4ug
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM

donlite is on a distinguished road
Default pvc

The best place in the city is Western Plastics. They are a wholesaler and there prices are incredibly cheap. The ony problem is you had better know exactly what you want because these guys don't like you asking any questions, Don
Old 01-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, I figured rona or maybe homehardware would be good. I used to buy everything from Homehardware where I lived but have not found one close by here yet. I live in the deep south of calgary so the tip on plumbing place by Princess auto is spot on....thanks Delphinus!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Western Plastics is in the NE from I can put together on google maps. Is it called western international plastics?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Nice thing about Western Pump is they also have flex PVC. But you have to ask for it at the counter, as they don't keep it out front.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 AM

russp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroTankin View Post
Western Plastics is in the NE from I can put together on google maps. Is it called western international plastics?
Wipal is there nickname , Western International Plastics . Barry or 1 of the Mikes. I used to deal with them alot when I managed a building center & they had the best prices around.