Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 02:51 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I understand the theory, the issue is cost, believe it or not distributors have the tin margins, and to give a product away that then comes back effectively second hand that can not be sold is a huge loss, where as giving someone the opportunity to have something they may not be able to afford in return for as best as possible an unbiased review is a two way positive deal.

Distributors in this industry do not have the luxury to give away products even if it can be written off or seen as a marketing plus point. I wish we could just give out units, but it just can not be afforded.

Sadly nothing in life these days is free. So we offer a middle ground, nobody is making that reviewer take up the offer of course
It's likely you'd only receive a product back if it wasn't a good product. I can't see why someone would essentially take a loss on their time and money by sending back something they were happy with. And if second hand products can't be sold, I guess we should close the Buy&Sell forum...

Your 'middle ground' is getting a free review. I can see how you might call it a 'win win' situation, but clearly you are taking no risk and getting a potentially nice, free reward. It's this viewpoint, and many other comments by many other people in many other threads, that I hope you consider.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 01-13-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Your 'middle ground' is getting a free review. I can see how you might call it a 'win win' situation, but clearly you are taking no risk and getting a potentially nice, free reward. It's this viewpoint, and many other comments by many other people in many other threads, that I hope you consider.
We get emails and calls all the time asking for free stuff in return for a review, we have even got recently from someone an email on this exact subject demanding to do a review for free and got very upset when we turned them down, total idiot in my view Some people do think they can bully you with the threat of negative posts on forums to get what they want. So you see we have to be careful, give into one it sets a precedent.

Business is about limiting risks, so I have absolute no issues with this. And currently the mass majority do not either.

Currently this is not a policy we will be changing, I have seen absolute no evidence other than yourself and BB that feel it alienates anyone,I also spent a ton of time trawling through the forum to find complaints about this as you say and there is not one from I can find, in fact more posts on here about the subject are for it than against. So the majority rule

we have been doing this for 7 years in this country and about 14 years in Europe with not one single complaint, so I see no reason to change now.

As it stands dealers we have asked (and we do) like the idea as it gives insight to the product and end user like having something to review at a cheaper price. we benefit from the review and so do the reviewers, dealers and end users.

I understand and respect you personally do not like it, so all I can advise is dont read them, it is impossible to please everyone and on this topic we cant please you or really try to. We will continue to monitor the policy with our dealers primarily and if they have issues then we will of course listen, as its the dealers the policy more than anything to make a structured choice if the product is right for them.

I have nothing else to add to this topic, so this one is now closed, but thank you for your input (only because i know full well how these things spiral and want to keep this thread open)

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 01-13-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
AD, do you always try to get exclusive right on product distribution in Canada? If you can enlighten me those products that would be great. Thanks
In the main yes, it is a business strategy that works as we can then invest in large amounts of stock without the risk of it being devalued by someone who may not be as ethical in terms of price point. Too many think this industry is a game even a hobby at business level and do not understand its actually someones income to survive (no different than someone working for someone or running their own business) This industry is full of people running off shoots of their own stable income to make some pocket money, so we insist on exclusiveness to protect "our family income"

Business protection is one of the first lessons in business school

Our 3 out of 4 of our main lines are exclusive, another one might as well be and is considered exclusive as nobody else really carries it and we are working on another one for this year with another European large manufacturer.

"Smaller" lines that are not are under risk of being dropped by us this year as we tighten our business model

We do not discuss openly what is exclusive or not this internal business sorry not for the open forum
Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 PM

Most of the posts that show disgruntled or alienated customers have been deleted, so you won't find much by "trawling through the forum". However it's clear you have a business model that works, so I won't fault you for that. Ethics and business don't mix well
Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 PM

I guess the bit about not carrying this on was not seen

So you are saying ALL the posts with the mass of complaints on this one topic of us offering people the chance to review our products have been removed. Hmmm I think most will find that a stretch.

In regards to ethics, lets keep this thread pleasant. AND as asked move on. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I guess the bit about not carrying this on was not seen

So you are saying ALL the posts with the mass of complaints on this one topic of us offering people the chance to review our products have been removed. Hmmm I think most will find that a stretch.

In regards to ethics, lets keep this thread pleasant. AND as asked move on. Thanks.
Nice straw man. I did say most, not all. There are still a few threads to be found with you openly "disagreeing" with hobbyists.

I am being very pleasant. I have a smile on my face. Perhaps I should give a smiley-winky face to show that or perhaps we can continue the conversation via pm? Then it won't show up in a forum search.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:19 PM

Honestly I have nothing further to say or add, I appreciate the thought but as i said it is a model that works with no valid mass complaints and will continue to work unless we see or deem otherwise, talking it over is really not going to change anything, not my end anyway.

To be clear there is NOT a thread on this forum that I can find or anyone else that has contacted me where anyone has complained about us offering product reviews and the product being offered as a gesture at cost to do the review.

We have a business model that works, 99.99% seem very happy with it and this is not being arrogant or stone faced, why should we change something that the majority like and is causing absolute no issues. If one or two dont like it, sorry I guess just dont read them. I know that sounds harsh but we can not be swayed by the very small minority.

I would really really appreciate this thread moving on from this now.

With best intentions
Michael
(please no more replies on this)

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 01-13-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Wow, even I'm tiring from the "review for hire conspiracy interrogation " Who cares!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Wow, even I'm tiring from the "review for hire conspiracy interrogation " Who cares!
LOL
Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Just wait, time will come when you will care!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Closed Thread