Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Oblique-lined Dottyback - Anybody keep one before?

Just wondering if anybody on here has kept one of these beautiful fish?

Sounds like an aggressive fish, but would like to know of member's personal experiences with this fish.

Scientific name:
Cypho purpurascens

Here's a link: http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=358&cid=21

Thanks ahead of time.

Anthony
Old 10-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Seafan is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a male. Yes they are aggressive depending on what other tank mates are in your system. In my display he has killed my firefish goby, but leaves my zebra goby alone as well as my clown goby and numerous other fish.
Although my zebra did carpet surf last week, so was thinking maybe due to a swipe in his direction. Zebra is ok though, got him back in tank right away and has been fine ever since again. He takes quick swipes at my bangaii cardinals and occasionally my blue/green chromis, but I don't think he will kill these, milder aggression than towards the firefish. This fish will kill any other red fish. As aggressive as he is, he is not the king of the display, my kole tang keeps his attitude in check. Another thing to keep in mind is as beautiful as they are, and pictures do not do them justice, they do like to hide a good deal of the time so you may not see him much. Was it worth it for me, I think so even though I really miss my firefish, I do adore this magnificent fish.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply. I found out that they do NOT go with red coloured flasher wrasses and I have several on order, so no Oblique-lined Dottybacks for me. Beautiful fish though. Real splash of red.