Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-11-2005, 05:15 PM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunl
Quote:
Seriously though, I have heard of that before, and imagine it would work, but a piece of shrimp or better yet some uncured live rock is the best way to cycle a tank, IMO.
Curious as to why this would work better? The shrimp decomposes and produces ammonia, which starts the cycle.

Curious as to why would starting with straight ammonia instead of it slowly leeching off the shrimp work better? Not that it wouldn't work, but why would that be the BEST way?
Because you do two things at once, you cycle your tank, and you fill it with live rock, which most of us here will do anyways. Even adding "cured" rock to a cycled tank can start another cycle. How are you to know that live rock cured at the store is fully cured? So by starting with only rock, you get both tasks accomplished.

It is the best way to cycle a tank in my opinion only as i stated in my orginal post.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:16 PM

Jayson is on a distinguished road

it is a very common practice oversea's to do this when clam farming.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:01 PM

dunl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Because you do two things at once, you cycle your tank, and you fill it with live rock, which most of us here will do anyways. Even adding "cured" rock to a cycled tank can start another cycle. How are you to know that live rock cured at the store is fully cured? So by starting with only rock, you get both tasks accomplished.

It is the best way to cycle a tank in my opinion only as i stated in my orginal post.
I wasn't suggesting the ammonia only, but using it instead of the shrimp, that's all. Ammonia plus the live rock allows you to start straight from the ammonia - just a different way of starting the cycle I guess.

Sorry - I thought you were suggesting that starting with the shrimp was better than starting with the ammonia.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:28 PM

scuglass is on a distinguished road

will any shrimp work from the store? or do i have to stay away froms ome(maybee perservatives?)
Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

I have added around 4 bottles Each bottle doign around 500gal per bottle. and that was for my 62 gal and had no problems ,I swear by it love the stuff.

it worked for me
Old 02-10-2006, 05:22 AM

asherah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to asherah

Do you mean you can buy bottles of ammonia ? where would we find this ?
If i'm already registering ammonia, nitrites and nitrates i'm assuming I wouldn't need that?

amanda
Old 02-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherah
Do you mean you can buy bottles of ammonia ? where would we find this ?
If i'm already registering ammonia, nitrites and nitrates i'm assuming I wouldn't need that?

amanda
Nope you won't need it, your tank is already into its cycle

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 PM

ron101 is on a distinguished road

You can buy ammonia solution (note it is not 100% ammonia) at most cleaning supply departments. Make sure you look for one that is additive free (ie unscented and detergent free); no-name brand type products typically fit this bill.

One advantage to using ammonia solution is the higher concentrations of ammonia that can be achieved. The amount of nitrifying bacteria that are present in one's tank will be proportional to the supply of ammonia. More ammonia will create a more robust bacteria colony more quickly. Using a single shrimp in a tank will prompt a cycle but that does not mean you can immediately add a full bioload to the tank once that cycle in completed. The bacteria colony may not be up to the task and another cycle will be triggered.

The disadvantage to the process is the higher concentrations of nitrate that you end up with. This is not an issue with freshwater because once the cycle is completed you simply do a 99% water change and then add your full bioload. Reef systems can eliminate nitrate but maybe not completely at the levels generated with 'fishless' cycling so you may have to do a much larger water change before adding livestock and salt mix not free.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:06 PM

richtg is on a distinguished road

Hold on a sec...

...OK, I'm back. Yeah, I don't think it's working.

Just think of all the stuff besides ammonia in your urine!!

There are also people out there (Waaco, Texas I think) that think it's healthy to drink your own urine. I'm no scientist, but...
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.