Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

it will be 2400 gph of sump flow. i know i have far more than that in flow overflow capacities but dad wants to have it capable of increased flow plus i might start to mess around with a wave in there. for dual drains alone at 2400 total flow i need 2 x 1 3/4" drains as my primary then as per the plan the exiting will take any excess flow and act as an emergency. all will have valves to throttle independently if its necessary to do so. between all three i will have the drainage for about 4000gph although i should never meet that ammount
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Wow. Where is the sump located? I had about 1200gph going through a 16" wide sump and it was WAY too loud in the living room. The crashing water over the baffles could drown out the tv! Besides, running more water through the sump won't increase your filtration capacity. Your skimmer and reactors can only process so much water per hour which is governed by the size of their pumps. The rest of the water will simply flow past and back up to the aquarium.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

In the stand of course I have 1200gph on the 175g same setup and very little noise especially if I kill the skimmer which is by far the loudest part of it. It will have dual sumps as well. We initially were planing on upwards of 3000gph but talked our selfs down some. The tank will be located in the living/ dining room we have a very open floor plan now that for the most part the Reno is done just the trim left and tying up some loose ends. Noise reading in the stand of the 175g with all systems online is about 70db and less in the room. We barely even notice the noise from the tank. in fact I enjoy the sound of the pumps and the falling water on my 29g that's 5' from my bed. With the plan for the sump baffles it should be quiet as well almost a copy cat to the 175g's just bigger and refined some as well. No more ac110 fuge just a nice big chamber for it