Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM

Beanz is on a distinguished road
Default Sump clean up and bare bottom cuc question

Hey all, I have a 15g display stocked with 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and some snails. I also have a 30g tank for a sump/ fugr andI'm wondering what kinda critters would b best for keeping my sump/fuge clean? The first chamber has all of my equipment in it like my heater, skimmer, and media reactor and stuff and that chamber is pretty detritus free cause I have a couple power heads in there. The second chamber is the fuge and return section and it seems to b building up detritus and I wanna get something to clean it up. Or would blasting it with a turkey baster every week and letting it go into my tank and then into a flilter sock b best?

My other thing is my display tank, I switched to BB and wondering what the best way to keep it clean is? I'm thinking blast with the turkey baster when the detritus starts to build up and let the filter sock catch it or would that as well as some kind of detritus CUC help? If so what should I get? I have an emerald and just some algae eating snails now.

Anyways those r my questions and I would b very greatful for someone to give me some suggestions.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Hey all, I have a 15g display stocked with 2 clowns, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and some snails. I also have a 30g tank for a sump/ fugr andI'm wondering what kinda critters would b best for keeping my sump/fuge clean? The first chamber has all of my equipment in it like my heater, skimmer, and media reactor and stuff and that chamber is pretty detritus free cause I have a couple power heads in there. The second chamber is the fuge and return section and it seems to b building up detritus and I wanna get something to clean it up. Or would blasting it with a turkey baster every week and letting it go into my tank and then into a flilter sock b best?

My other thing is my display tank, I switched to BB and wondering what the best way to keep it clean is? I'm thinking blast with the turkey baster when the detritus starts to build up and let the filter sock catch it or would that as well as some kind of detritus CUC help? If so what should I get? I have an emerald and just some algae eating snails now.

Anyways those r my questions and I would b very greatful for someone to give me some suggestions.

Thanks

personally i dont clean my fuge just scrape the glass here and there, i leave it dirty for pod growth and my macro seems to love th excess nutrients
Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Beanz is on a distinguished road

Ok good to know. Is your fuge separate and does it have sand in it? Cause mine is just some LR and macro in my sump and doesn't have any substrate.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 AM

ruslicus is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian, how did you ended up to make BB tank? I am thinking to build my new 60 system BB?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Depending on the corals your keeping, you may want it clean. If its sps, I would try to keep it clean if not, don't worry too much about it. But removing what you can will help keep nitrates down.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 AM

i am looking for mixed but to have some SPS and some Zoas on bottom to cover some of the BB. The sump I was thinking based on phosban and carbon reactor instead of refugium. any advise on it?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 AM

Well since I went bb I've had hair algae up the wazoo could be linked, but it could be another issue, be prepared to syphon the bottom every couple of days and have good flow around the base to keep detritus in the water column for the skimmer to grab. this means either some good powerheads or some cheap ones around the back pointing under the rock work to keep it suspended
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM

What if I will cover the bottom with some Zoas, or at least the big part of the bottom?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM

You'll still get detritus build up either way, you could blast the bottom with a turkey baster to keep it from settling too much.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 PM

ok but how is comparable to sand bed? the purpose of BB is to have crystal clear water and I will have very high flow as looking to keep some nice SPS? Thank you guys for your input.