Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Black Phantom is on a distinguished road
Default This really steams me.

So I decide to go into one of the "big box" LFS in the northeast (which I don't usually do). And as I'm walking around the salesperson is adding up a list of all the new marine fish (8 to be exact)that this gentleman is picking out. When I mention he must have a large tank he says that he is just starting a 28 and is picking it out today.
When the salesperson mentions he will need live rock he asks "what's that".
The salesperson says he will need it to balance the system and with the right additives he should be able to put his fish in the tank in about 3 days. Now I'm mad. This is just wrong.
So while the salesperson is off getting "stuff" I quickly jot down the URL for Canreef and convince the guy to hold off on the fish at least for a couple of weeks. Hopefully by then he will come online here and start to gather some knowledge of what it really takes to have happy critters and not kill a ton of stuff getting there.
I realize the bottom line for these stores is sales but a little more information to the customer would sure go a long way.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

That customer has probably been watching 'Tanked' ...
Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

You're not the only one that gets steamed. Anytime I am in either of the box stores in the NE I usually leave shaking my head....
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

I'd confronted staff at both of the stores about the lack of concern over sick fish in their tanks, and the typical responce is that "the fish are all qt'd at the wholesailer and that they are all in pristine shape".

So that white fuzz and spots all over those fish is a sign of health then?

Red Coral, Golds and Ocean City for me thanks.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I often wonder if the management at said establishments are directing the employees to sell, sell, sell or if it’s just a general lack of knowledgeable employees, or the lack of proper training and education. If they don't know what they are doing is incorrect, is it the employee's fault? I don't believe so.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 PM

cityreefer is on a distinguished road
Default box stores

i agree parker, educating staff is the one on problem for stores like this. its hard to keep employees as i image the wage is just not where it needs to be to live in Alberta.
How do you keep good staff for long, the box stores in Edmonton seem to be doing good with staff for the most part.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM

JMes is on a distinguished road

Those 2 stores cater to this type of clientele. Anyone with any type of common sense and knowledge doesn't buy their live
stock or dry goods from these type of stores.

I sold a HOB skimmer awhile back to a person that only shops at those 2 stores,and to be honest this had to the be dumbest guy I ever met in this hobby. Calls me up 3 times that evening complaining that the skimmer is making all sorts of noise and that its my fault that it's not working. Turns out this genius didn't add water inside the skimmer.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMes View Post
I sold a HOB skimmer awhile back to a person that only shops at those 2 stores,and to be honest this had to the be dumbest guy I ever met in this hobby. Calls me up 3 times that evening complaining that the skimmer is making all sorts of noise and that its my fault that it's not working. Turns out this genius didn't add water inside the skimmer.
Water? What's water?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

If u didn't know already most big stores are about profit do u really think they care? I mean buddywill kill his fish and come back for more after instead of seeing him one time they get to see him many times. It's a sad realization that people just don't care. I'm waiting to see something like that on a bad day lol I would make them feel like complete idiots for the obvious disregard for basic life
Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I was at the big biz here in Edmonton when I overheard a guy buying a ro unit cause he had high nitrates in his tank. 80/90. I said waste of money. And walked over. The sales guy just walked away. I started to talk to they guy and all that was in his tank was fish. No cleanup crew no mangrove Nothing. I educated him to the best of my knowledge. Told him to take the 400 buck he was going to spend on the ro unit and buy a cleanup crew. He started to walk to the back and I said why the hell would you buy it here when they just tried to rip u off. He was shocked. Sent him to a local FS. I asked the sales guy wtf and he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Ffs

Last edited by Proteus; 09-19-2011 at 11:41 PM.