Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I think you have to be logged on before the New Posts tab appears.
Correct.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok lol haha . Am I correct that there was a time when the new posts would appear under active threads ? Or did you always have to hit the new post Tab ?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post
Ok lol haha . Am I correct that there was a time when the new posts would appear under active threads ? Or did you always have to hit the new post Tab ?
I don't recall ever changing anything, pretty sure it's always been this way. I could be wrong, but I don't remember us changing it.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:15 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Oh, I see what you might be doing. I simply navigate the site by clicking new posts. It's all there.
It's not the same, it requires an extra click which sometimes isn't worth the extra effort.

I gave up reefing a while ago, maybe for good or maybe not. At any rate I stick around because I like the community and I myself owe a lot to it as I've grown a tremendous amount since I first joined being that I'm only a partial ignorant douche now. At any rate I can occasionally still offer good advice and enjoy a good build thread. That said I'm visiting less and less and I agree with what has already been said. To add to it, a lot of what feeds this forum are the build threads and the sense of importance each author achieves. Most threads these days are essentially a repeat with original builds being much harder to achieve, this drives down viewer interest and respective comments which drives interest down in general. Low comments = low updates = low bumps = low activity. This causes tank owners to use other sources to show off their work and get that attention they crave. This craving for importance is what drives a lot people after all and it is what fuels social media, not just in this hobby but most aspects of life. As said time is a changing, move on or be left behind.

Last edited by sphelps; 10-06-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:28 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm not sure that's directly relatable - except maybe Coelacanths.
Biological science is pretty widespread. Understanding the evolution and development of a vertebrate embryo translates across a pretty wide range of fields

There is a lot of chemistry on keeping a reef healthy. Do you need to have a Ph. D. in organic chem to understand it all? Nope. I personally feel a moderate knowledge of life sciences can allow anyone to grasp everything you need to know about keeping a tank healthy and flourishing.

Now the practice of doing such is completely different. Many people can understand something but cannot capitalize on that knowledge.

And I wish I would have been at the Smithsonian in Washington to see the Coelacanth An old invertebrate palaeontology professor of mine works there now and could have had a pretty sweet tour!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
It's not the same, it requires an extra click which sometimes isn't worth the extra effort.

I gave up reefing a while ago, maybe for good or maybe not. At any rate I stick around because I like the community and I myself owe a lot to it as I've grown a tremendous amount since I first joined being that I'm only a partial ignorant douche now. At any rate I can occasionally still offer good advice and enjoy a good build thread. That said I'm visiting less and less and I agree with what has already been said. To add to it, a lot of what feeds this forum are the build threads and the sense of importance each author achieves. Most threads these days are essentially a repeat with original builds being much harder to achieve, this drives down viewer interest and respective comments which drives interest down in general. Low comments = low updates = low bumps = low activity. This causes tank owners to use other sources to show off their work and get that attention they crave. This craving for importance is what drives a lot people after all and it is what fuels social media, not just in this hobby but most aspects of life. As said time is a changing, move on or be left behind.

I think that pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I just wanted to talk about lights....
Old 12-06-2015, 01:44 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
All the above and the wholesale loss on all antagonistic posts that sometimes maaaayy have walked on the wrong side of the line but were usually meant in fun.... Most of the time but always lead to wonderful mayhem. So much fun.

Brad if you're not coming back after Chistmas I'm done....Ban me for the third and final time.

I think it's time......it's like stale bread, cardboard cookies, or soggy chips... It's time
Old 12-06-2015, 01:54 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
I think it's time......it's like stale bread, cardboard cookies, or soggy chips... It's time
You'll keep suffering with the rest of us. Suck it up.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
You'll keep suffering with the rest of us. Suck it up.
Maybe a poll would help cheer me up.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:59 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Maybe a poll would help cheer me up.
There's a new one now. I picked Richmond at 5