Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 AM

JJB84 is on a distinguished road
Default Gentle Leader?

Hi,

I myself have a stubborn dog and he too was very nippy as a puppy and pulled alot when we go for walks. A few things that work when we walk is a gentle leader, its a muzzle looking thing but its not a muzzel you would attach your leash to this gentle leader and when the pup pulls you have more control because it attached to his snout. It takes a bit getting used to for the pup but they do help alot. Another thing I tried that worked was looping his leash (6 foot one works well or longer) around his back end to almost make a choker so everytime he pulls the leash will tighten around his lower stomache and cause some discomfort but its easier on his stomache than his neck. The leash is still attached to the collar when doing this method. hope maybe some of that helped. It took my boy 1 1/2 years to calm down and listen better
Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

So its been a few weeks since Diesel got neutered and he is actually listening and progressing much better now. He has the same energy levels as before but seems to actually stop and try to figure out what I am asking him to do even when he is running around like an idiot. So that's been great.

He also seems very, very cuddly and loving since loosing his boys I guess he's gone soft lol. It's really nice actually. He seems to enjoy our company much more than before.

One thing though that has not changed and is the one thing that drives me nuts more than anything else is how he reacts to meeting new people/dogs or how he reacts when he wants to meet people or dogs.

For example last night I was walking him and he was great for most of the walk until near the end when he saw a lady that for whatever reason he HAD to meet. He starts to pull, bark, whine, ect. I hold him back and try to get him to sit but no matter what I do, he will just persist. In this case, the lady wanted nothing to do with him and kept walking. We went around a corner and he was still whining and pulling to go back.

Anyone dealt with this before? Or have some ideas?

When people come over we ask them to ignore the dog and we lease him so that he cannot get to them either. It takes a good 10 minutes for him to calm down but then after we allow the people to approach him, he goes nuts again. On new years eve we had a party with quite a few friends over and he stayed on the lease all night because he couldn't calm down. We took him off a few times to try but he knocked over drinks, jumps on people and just tears around the condo.

I can't really ever tire this dog out. I run almost everyday and now take him with me but even after a long run, he is not tired! He can out run me easily.

Basically we are pretty happy with him lately other than meeting new dogs and people. He just can't seem to handle it!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear things are improving!

I can sell you my treadmill...you pay shipping haha.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 PM

JJB84 is on a distinguished road
Default Treats when you walk?

Have you tried bringing some extra tastey treats when you go for walks? I tried treats with my pup but I had to resort to human food as he liked that best. I would cut up some hot dogs or cheese cubes and everytime he would get too "excited" I would try and get him to sit or focus for his treats. You can also try getting him to walk with a toy, I have not done this but met a few people with bull terriers that worked well for them. They would get there dogs to walk with there favorite toy in there mouth to distract them while walking. As far as the in your condo part this will just take some time if you can have a friend come over and then keep coming in thru your door and everytime your friend comes in your pup will go crazy but you can try and correct him and eventually he will get used to people coming over.

Hope that was some sort of help, and glad things are going better.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

This could be just the curious puppy side of him. He sounds like he is a friendly type and just want's to say hi to people he see's. Dogs, I find anyway, are a great judge of character My female Husky is the same way just love poeple except one she doesn't. The only thing we can do about it is to focus her attention to something else, some time's it takes a little tap in the but with my foot, just like Ceasar.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I have a dog walking/training business, and I can say exercise is the biggest factor in having a healthy, happy and well rounded dog. When dogs get out they socialize. Because I walk unruly dogs (hyper and frustrated due to lack of exercise), it is up to me to teach them how I run my pack and my own dogs help me with this themselves. People that hire me to take their dogs hiking, very quickly learn how essential I am to how their dogs behave. They say they are much more willing to listen and are very content. I leave with crazy dogs and come back with dogs that listen and the owners think I am the dog guru.

Please watch Cesar Milan and read his books. This man is the God of dogs to me, and he has common sense ways that help deal with any issue people have with their dogs.

With the leash pulling and barking, you should keep advancing ahead and not allow him to fixate on anything aside of moving forward. You do this by making quick corrections with his lead and having his collar fairly high up on his neck. Make sure they are looking and moving forward and not looking back. Just keep walking and correcting and tell him "no" or just make a noise (whatever you want) that is quick and gets his attention. Cesar Milan uses the famous "shhhhh". You can use "yuck" or whatever guttural noise you like to use.

Cesar says "exercise, discipline and affection"... it really works.

I have a new English Stafford puppy that is quite a handful at time, but I am very consistent with her exercise and discipline. If she was in a single dog home and did not get out with lots of dogs like she does in her life with me, she would be dog aggressive for sure. With her personality, a person could have had issues with her, since she is a little fire ball of a puppy. She LOVES people, but is stubborn and hard headed like most bully breeds can be. All dogs will test their boundaries and challenge as they grow and bond with you.

Neutering your little guy may have calmed him down for now, but he will still need to be worked with daily. I have a two year old intact male Stafford and he is by far, the calmest dog I have ever owned. I think all dogs have personalities and even when you have them altered, they won't stray too far from what they really are.

Another thing you might want to consider is day care a couple of times a week. It would be good for him to interact with other dogs and learn a pack mentality. It socializes them and teaches them the tools on how to deal with other dogs in any situation. Dogs in a pack behave differently, and you see the older ones teach the younger what is acceptable behavior and what manners in a pack really are. If you ever watched how my personal dogs interact with my client's dogs, you would be amazed at how much dogs learn from each other. You actually see them having light bulb moments and watch them change for the better. My rottie girl is my star pupil and teacher dog. She knows how things are to be and will correct other dogs (not a harsh of violent reaction), and make sure they behave the way I expect them to behave.

When you buy a pup from an ethical breeder the pup is a minimum of 8 weeks old (10 weeks is best), and has learned a huge amount from its mother and siblings. Also a good breeder will match a puppy with the potential owners personalities and life style. I don't know how old your pup was when he was weaned and taken away from his mother, but this may have some thing to do with some of your issues as well.

Good luck with your pup, and I hope this some what helps you out.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Vendor

Bayside Corals is on a distinguished road

I got pitbull puppy about 6 months ago and he is now about 8 months old. I have never owned a dog before and experienced many things you have. His name is Bosco and he is a great dog (getting better every day). After the first couple of months of getting him me and my wife were like holy Sh*t what did we get ourselves into! We had a serious talk on many occations about getting rid of him as we could not handle all of his energy!

Like others have said watch cesar he has been a ton of help for us!

To me it sounds like your dog has to much pent up energey that he needs to get rid of! We use to take Bosco for very long walks and it wouldn't even faze him! So I started taking my bike and made him run beside me on the bike. That worked much better! he would actually get tired out and would listen much better to commands after a good run (not a walk). We would sometimes take him for a run beside the bike and then go for a walk after so we could train him not to pull on the leash for walking. If we tried just walking him with no run first he would pull like crazy! The run before hand is key.

Bosco is a very social dog. We take him to the dog parks, bring him around other friends with their dogs, we started this from a young age and does well around other dogs. When Bosco was younger we used to leave the leash on him while he played with other dogs and people so if he got out of line we would correct him with a stern NO and a quick correction with the leash. If he did it again we would respond with the same corrections only the tug on the leash would get harder and harde each time. Eventually it will sink in! The other thing that really help us was a pincher collar. A regular leash did nothing, the choaker also did nothing. Put on the pincher collar and a swift tug on the leash and he will listen real fast! He now wears his pincher collar all the time except for bed time.

he is still a work in progress as he is only 8 months old but has come a very long way since we first got him! For us the single most imoprtant thing is excersize! Without it we would have been hopless. the second thing was the pincher collar.

If you don't have room for a treadmill, or have a bike, try some roller blades or even get one of the those doggy back packs and put some extra weight in there to tire him out quicker. You have to tire him out before you try to train him or he will not listen. If we are expecting company or throwing a party we will run Bosco on the treadmill for 30mins before everyone arrives and he will behave much better. I also run him before I take him to the dog park or anywhere else there may be other people and dogs and he will listen to me. The key is to tire him out.

Colby
Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Colby,

Why not get Bosco (love that name) a harness and teach him how to pull things. It is fantastic exercise and pitties are the very best for doing things like this. Dogs LOVE to have a job, and pitties were used for fighting and then people saw their pulling potential. It's amazing to see how much one dog can pull.

Good for you for working with you dog, and not giving up on him.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

First, a really good read is a book called Control Unleashed. Great info on managing "disorderly" dogs. Also, I can tire out my border collie in about 10 minutes while sitting on the floor training her with a clicker. Clicker training makes them think hard, and thinking hard is hard work. There is no need to run your pup for hours a day. Another thing I'd look into is a DVD called Crate Games...it's designed more for sport dogs, but the first few phases teach self control, I found it to be a fabulous tool.
As for dominant, I think the case is more that the pup is sensing your frustration, and without feeling your clear direction, is taking it upon himself to direct his own actions. The book above will help with that. Lots of Milan's stuff is probably similar. Goggle clicker training and read some of Karen Pryor's stuff on it, it's a great way to tire your pup without leaving the house.
to add, there are lots of comments about tiring him out being important. I'd have to disagree. The real key is to have a relationship where the dog respects your direction on when he can act up and when he can be a good dog. Yes, excercise is important, but running your dog into the ground to bypass correcting behavioural issues is not the way to do it. If I had to physically tire out my dogs everyday, I'd be ready for the olympics Again, the book will give you advice on getting to this type of relationship. Clicker training will also help, as it builds the dogs confidence and lets him learn to be successful working with you. This starts the realtionship where your dogs looks to you for direction.

Last edited by Aquattro; 01-04-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
First, a really good read is a book called Control Unleashed. Great info on managing "disorderly" dogs.

Another thing I'd look into is a DVD called Crate Games...it's designed more for sport dogs, but the first few phases teach self control, I found it to be a fabulous tool.
and why didn't you tell me abbout these two?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.