Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-01-2014, 02:10 AM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

Woo its been a while. Update time. The tank has been very nicely cleaned as well as all parts using a gallon + of vinegar and a good long soak. Cleaning was done with a dedicated toothbrush. Yes I got into all the nooks and crannies. I let it all air dry for a long while.
I put all my old and very dry rock back into the tank with new sand. It feels a lot finer than the one I had before. Oh well.
I checked params every few days. I didn't expect much as there was nothing in there to start a good cycle. I waited over a month anyway with everything running. Then I made my first purchase through JLA. 14 hermit crabs (blue leg and mexican) and 5 rocks of mushrooms. Blue dot, metallic red and orange, green with white stripes and fuzzy green (rhodactius). So pretty.
Anyways it definitely started the typical cycle Everything is now doing wonderfully params are all in check . I do have some algae on the rocks but I am not too worried about it. They should disappear after the parameters have been stable for more time

I have been noticing new things beginning to grow on the mushroom rocks... besides mushrooms. There is a pink encrusting coral on the bottom of one rock. I do not expect it to survive. Some yellow and orange sponges, what looks like green polyps. They are still too small to tell. I am hoping they are not really pretty apasia. I also have what looks like teeny snowflakes popping up all over one of the rocks. Kind of like ice blue cloves but they are nearly tight against the rocks and they are white.
I also got rid of a gorilla crab that that was hiding in one of the mushroom rocks. I pulled the rock out and held it so I could see the cave. I squirted hot fresh water into the cave and he slid right out.... after I tried to pull him out with tweezers and ended up pulling off half of his legs instead *blush* oops.

My husband and I had a date the other day and I asked to stop at the LFS. well they had colt coral on for $15 a stalk. The stalks were quite a good size. I purchased one as I have always thought them pretty. It is now fully inflated in my tank and quite happy. I cant wait for it to grow nice and tall.
I also did a 5 gal water change the day I added the colt. Everything seems quite happy. The mushrooms are splitting a lot faster than what I had in my tank last time. I have no idea why. My metallic orange shrooms have already doubled. Lots and lots of babies everywhere. There are also 3 (that I can see) new baby rhodactious mushrooms and 5 new green with white stripe shrooms and 2 new red metallic babies.

Im very happy with this tank so far. My husband really likes it and says when we renovate my upstairs living room he would like me to put in a big saltwater tank He even said he may want it in his downstairs man cave that we are working on right now maybe he will let me have 2. hehehe
Old 01-01-2014, 04:32 AM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

I got paranoid after researching Majano and aiptasia and ended up covering the area with a thick layer of superglue. My mushrooms that were on the rock were not happy at all that they were out of the water for so long.
Next time I go out to the LFS I am going to pick up a peppermit shrimp if they have one.