Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default Group camping within an hour of Calgary?

Weird to send this out when it's snowing, but looking for some group camping sites close to Calgary for 2014. Prefer something that isn't tied in with a campground for noise restrictions. Right now red lodge is top of the list, but it's 2 hours away. Anyone here have some fave spots to go? Will need something big, min 15 units.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Mclean Creek free camp or Wipress are both expansive, full of nature and cost nothing to stay at.

Just pack your garbage up after and try not to freeze your butt off .

I prefer Mclean, 45 mins away from Calgary and there is a pay to camp within 5km so you can stop @ the store if need be. Look up Mclean Creek campground, instead of turning right into the pay to camp you take a left over the cow gate and follow the road.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:20 PM

seasalt_newbies is on a distinguished road

By the sounds of it I want to come and camp with you guys as well.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Mclean Creek free camp or Wipress are both expansive, full of nature and cost nothing to stay at.

Just pack your garbage up after and try not to freeze your butt off .

I prefer Mclean, 45 mins away from Calgary and there is a pay to camp within 5km so you can stop @ the store if need be. Look up Mclean Creek campground, instead of turning right into the pay to camp you take a left over the cow gate and follow the road.
We used to camp out there all the time when we went quadding and off road trips. (many years ago ) Might have to take run out to see if it's what we are looking for.....thanks! We were in tents back then, how RV friendly is it? Nice thing with rv's.....heat so over freezing my butt off

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt_newbies View Post
By the sounds of it I want to come and camp with you guys as well.
We aren't a wild bunch most of the time, just planning an event and need the space without the restrictions, but ya come on out We usually group camp for the long weekends, family stuff in between.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
We used to camp out there all the time when we went quadding and off road trips. (many years ago ) Might have to take run out to see if it's what we are looking for.....thanks! We were in tents back then, how RV friendly is it? Nice thing with rv's.....heat so over freezing my butt off

We aren't a wild bunch most of the time, just planning an event and need the space without the restrictions, but ya come on out We usually group camp for the long weekends, family stuff in between.
Depends on the time of year, we have never had a problem getting the trailers in and out though (aside from bottoming out a few times).

I'm sure you are aware of the attitude out there though, I don't think I have ever met such a keen group of people willing to help strangers out.

Best part is if you camp by a giant mud pit you get free shows all day long, nothing more entertaining than watching people get stuck. Gives you an excuse to get dirty and try and save them.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:54 AM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

A bit farther down hwy 66 towards Forgetmenot Pond there is another camp ground. Give that a look see too.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM

That looks lovely too. Same distance as the one I'm looking at now. Thanks

Can't book anything until February, thought for events, bookings were available up to a year in advance.... ah well.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

one of the most interesting places ive group camped was in brooks of all places. we had our own little island it was um interesting, we were away from the main camping at the campground.