Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2010, 01:42 AM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default Why are all of my clams dying???

OK... seriously frustrated.... wait... no, MAD!!! I had a Squamosa die a couple of weeks ago, then I come home from work this wek to find a dead Maxima, then go out today, come back and I have a dead Crocea. WTF??? All of my parameters are good... (Phosphates - 0.02 Nitrates - less than 5 Calc 400 Alk 8 Mag 1250, no amonia, no nitrates) On the 2 squamosas in the sand (one still living) I found bristle worms, but no pyramid snails. Can't tell about the Max and Croc, because up until they dies they were stuck solid onto the rocks. I do have a Niger Trigger, and a Flame angel, but I'v never noticed them nipping at all. Any thoughts or tips? Before I came home today I bought 2 more clams... I don't want to lose them.... please help!! Thanks!

BTW I've heard that a lot of people in Edmonton are losing clams lately... not too sure on the validity of this, but there it is.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 12-18-2010, 01:56 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Not sure Johnny, all of mine seem to be okay. You can always bring your 2 new clams over for me to babysit. Your Frags are ready anyway. Clams are a strange thing. Sometimes you just never know what's wrong. They don't nessesarily like pristine water conditions.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:58 AM

coreyskylar is on a distinguished road
Default Clam

One of mine is opening less and less everyday, if that helps.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:00 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I'm going thru exactly the same thing.. I've lost four so far. The clam will appear fine and happy one day, then the next morning the shell is gapped so far open it's tearing the syphon hole. then dead that evening. I would think that if it were a disease or a pathogen that they would all die at once.. Not one every 4 days or so. A few have been in my tank for years. I bought new clams last month.. Lost one new one and three established ones.. I moved the remaining three to my frag tank to see if they do better in there.

I've noticed my cleaner shrimp around them lately, maybe they are eating them at night from the bottom?? I just have no clue. like you, water is good and everything else is ok.. 3 tangs in the tank, a regal,yellow, and naso. the mantels don't look picked on.. They just spread apart at the hinge.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

On the bright side.. I have a nice collection of empty $80 clam shells
Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the offer Dez! But no thanks. Lol. Borderjumper... I can't bare to keep the shells... Turf them all imediately. I just hope my other squamosa doesn't die... I LOVE it... Bright blue! I think all the clams may be coming up to Fort Mac with me on Sunday... Hopethey do better there!

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 12-18-2010, 03:05 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

What a coincidence. This has been a horrible year for me too. I've lost 4 clams as well: a squamosa, crocea and two maxima. I've been looking but I cannot find any parasitic snails either. The squamosa was my most recent addition and it wasn't too long after that it and some of the others started showing some bad signs. Loss of color, poor mantle extension or pinched areas. I gave many of them fresh water dips and in some cases it seemed to help but for others they were already too far gone. Two of the clams I had for about 5 years... What I have left is a 5 year old crocea, 3 year old derasa and a 2 year old maxima. I believe the squamosa brought something into my tank with it. I really need to start quarantining better.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-18-2010, 03:47 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Unfortunately ... this is hugely common. One of the worst things for a clam is to be in the same tank as another dead clam. If one goes on you, you have to get it out right away otherwise it kicks off a chain reaction. Basically you have to cull them before they're actually dead if you think they're past the point of no return. It sucks. I've lost 5 or 6 in the last 3 months myself and they were all >5 years in my care so I've been seriously hit hard by the losses myself ... I know your frustration.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:50 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

I just lost a clam today that Ive had for a couple years....

Go to move him and I notice a strange worm....not quite a bristle worm either.....****
Old 12-18-2010, 04:38 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Same here 4 clams this year as well.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build