Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy View Post
How cool would it be to put a macro lens on and take HD video of palythoas swallowing shrimp?
Pretty cool. As long as you aren't the shrimp
Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blom View Post
While I have this post going I might as well pick at the minds of people that seem to know more about this than I. Been doing a fair amount of research online (Should be studying Calculus) and at stores. I just went in to get a feel for some of these cameras. I was mainly looking at the D60 and the Canon XS, both of which are leagues away from my current point and shoot. I also took a look at a few of the models a step up from there like the D90 and the 1Ti. After that the price was just too much for my needs. I also felt that way about the D90 and 1Ti a bit. The main reason for the camera upgrade is to take better quality shots of my aquariums, and my regular camera usage. Im not looking to become a professional photographer by any extent, and I feel that should be reflected in the price that im willing to pay for a camera. I received a lot of helpful information from the store, but if history has taught me anything its that salespeople are there to sell. And having as much information and others opinions can only help to further my decision.

The first question is because of conflicting information about lens. I have been told that the D60 can AND cannot wield the majority of Nikon lens.
It can't be both!

Im also curious about the pixel rating, from my understanding you tend to loose a ton of picture quality when the image is uploaded on the net or printed. Is that a true statement?

Any other info that you think may help would also be greatly appreciated, especially if you happen to own a D60. What has the experience been like?
There is a huge debate on whether the nikon DSLRs are better or the canon DSLRs.

Here are some difference between the D60 and XSi that seperates them.

D60:
3 point focus
10 mega pixels <-- doesnt matter its already high enough
NEF raw formate (12 bit AD conversion you lose a bit of quality in highlights)
takes more aggressive photos without adjusting settings, sharper, brighter

XSi: *i know you didnt look into this one but its MUCH better than the XS
9 point focus
12.1 mega pixels
CR2 raw formate (14 bit AD conversion, what canon uses in there professional DSLRs)
takes less agressive photos but after adjustments will result in better images than the D60

As you can see on the surface the XSi is a much better camera, Im a Canon guy and the XSi does wonders for a entry level DSLR. The photo quality with Canons 14bit AD convertor is amazing in RAW format. The important thing is WHICH camera feels better in your hands when using, both are very capable of taking good photos all DSLRs are made to take good photos in RAW imo.

The statement about losing megapixels and uploading onto the net i think is false..the uploading process cant change the amount of mega pixels it was used to take a photo on a camera. The image quality might drop due to there compression (photobucket) but other then that i dont see any mega pixel decrease.

Here is a link for you in seeing which lenses are compatible with the D60, take a look inside a manual when you go to the stores, they shuold have one...if not try looking online for an online version and see which lenses they list as compatible with D60
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM

jus68 is on a distinguished road
Default Costco

I had the same debate and what I did was I went to Costco and did the 90 day trial for the Xsi. Don't get me wrong I don't do this often but I figure I had to justify the costco membership fee somehow.... Anyways, my friend and I had a shootoff against his d60 and the results were very compable so we concluded it would just come down to individual preferences. But are you sure you want to get used? There's so much packed into those cameras that even a slight mishandle could cause damages. Within the $300-$400 range there are other brands that offer new dslrs.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Thanks imisky for clearing some of that up for me, very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus68 View Post
I had the same debate and what I did was I went to Costco and did the 90 day trial for the Xsi. Don't get me wrong I don't do this often but I figure I had to justify the costco membership fee somehow.... Anyways, my friend and I had a shootoff against his d60 and the results were very compable so we concluded it would just come down to individual preferences. But are you sure you want to get used? There's so much packed into those cameras that even a slight mishandle could cause damages. Within the $300-$400 range there are other brands that offer new dslrs.
Costco huh, never even thought about there. Damn membership fee! After some more looking around Ive decided to buy new, just for the reason you mentioned. Having a warranty is also a selling point. Thanks for the tip though, Ill be sure to check it out.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus68 View Post
Pentax and Sony both offer entry level dSLRs but I'd stick with Canon or Nikon. The big C and the big N dominate the SLR market in part because of the massive array of lenses available - and lenses are the reason you get an SLR. Sony has never made a big splash in the SLR market (unlike point & shoot) and with the company losing billions for the first time since anyone can remember there are questions as to whether Sony will continue to support dSLRs in the long term. SLRs are core businesses for Canon and Nikon, it is not a core business for Sony. I don't know much about Pentax except for the one that my dad had when he immigrated to Canada 40 years ago. I hear they're good cameras, but again the support for their dSLRs just isn't like it is for Canon and Nikon.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
Pentax and Sony both offer entry level dSLRs but I'd stick with Canon or Nikon. The big C and the big N dominate the SLR market in part because of the massive array of lenses available - and lenses are the reason you get an SLR. Sony has never made a big splash in the SLR market (unlike point & shoot) and with the company losing billions for the first time since anyone can remember there are questions as to whether Sony will continue to support dSLRs in the long term. SLRs are core businesses for Canon and Nikon, it is not a core business for Sony. I don't know much about Pentax except for the one that my dad had when he immigrated to Canada 40 years ago. I hear they're good cameras, but again the support for their dSLRs just isn't like it is for Canon and Nikon.
Agreed, thats what people have been telling me. What I would like to do is try both of them out (D60 and Rebel XSi). Just take a couple dozen shots with each, outside and then in a less lit area. I would really like to screw around with them on my aquarium (Or another aquarium) to see what I get. But from the sounds of it the shots will be similar. So I guess I would just like to get a feel to see who I like better. Canon or Nikon, the fight is on. Does anyone know of a place that will let you try the camera out for an hour or so in calgary? Thanks in Advance! (Besides Costco, its to hell and gone)

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

London Drug will let you return a camera within 2 weeks so you can buy both and return one for credit within 2 weeks.

Tom R
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
London Drug will let you return a camera within 2 weeks so you can buy both and return one for credit within 2 weeks.

Tom R
HAHAHA buy both! Thats awesome. Other than that being a pipe dream I see your point. Let me just rearrange you're idea around a little. I could buy one and try it out. Return it for the other. Choose and get the right camera. Pain in the ass but at least I will be able to test them out.

Thanks Tom

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 AM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

As an employee of London Drugs, I should probably clarify: the company has a 15-day no hassle return. You don't return it for credit, you can return it for ALL your money back.

Happy camera hunting!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 AM

imisky is on a distinguished road

About the comment that Sony isnt a good DSLR brand...i dont think thats true, Nikon uses Sony sensors they dont make there own..So if you see Sony going down in the DSLR scene Nikon might get effected a bit but i doubt it. Canon on the other hand makes there own sensors and d*mn good ones. Walk into Walmart if you want to get a feel of what both camera feel like in your hand, bestbuy, futureshop all have DSLRs on display that you can play with i am not sure if they have batterys in them though.