Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I use the Aquasafe system with the added drinking water stage and have never had an issue, my incoming water is 55 PSI as we are on a well system. Like anything you have to change your prefilters and the green resin sand stuff ( not sure of the proper name) at least once a year.
I'm into year 3 and have not replaced the RO membrane yet and should probably change it out soon.

Last edited by The Guy; 09-06-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:44 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Going to mess with it tonight after work, thanks for the help and ideas

I will try to take the tank out of the equation see if that changes anything

Here's a pic

Flow goes

Prefilters > membrane > di resin > T off one way goes tank other way to remineralied filter for drinking , there is another T between tank line .

So if you open drinking water line water will flow from tank or di resin through extra reminerazed filter to your glass , if you want RODI water for tank you use T off like water doesn't pass threw that filter water comes from storage or from di resin
Old 09-06-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
I use the Aquasafe system with the added drinking water stage and have never had an issue, my incoming water is 55 PSI as we are on a well system. Like anything you have to change your prefilters and the green resin sand stuff ( not sure of the proper name) at least once a year.
I'm into year 3 and have not replaced the RO membrane yet and should probably change it out soon.

How much production do you have a day ?

What's your waste water line look like for flow/ratio ?
Old 09-07-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
How long have you had the dial on the flow restrictor cranked all the way in? I'm assuming that there is still some water coming through the waste line?
Yea like its pouring out still and the water coming from the membrane is dripping like one drip per second waste is pouring out
Old 09-07-2015, 03:54 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, that ain't right. Should definitely be more than a drip coming from the product line. I have a fixed 75 gpd restrictor built into a manual flush valve assembly, no adjustment but is simple & works fine.

You say the water is pouring out the waste line, perhaps it's your adjustable restrictor that's the problem, could be as simple as that. Try plugging the waste line completely to see what happens. If you have a JG end plug, just use that, but don't run it too long that way, just long enough to see if you get more than a drip from the product line. Depending on the outcome of that scenario, logic would dictate that either your adjustable restrictor is toast, the membrane is toast, or water pressure is being bled off/lost somewhere upstream of the membrane.

Last edited by mike31154; 09-07-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:03 AM

Ok yea I've tested the water coming from the membrane and its no where near the TDS reduction my input is like 250 and out put from the membrane is 180 so the membrane isn't working properly

Is the membrane shot ? Would this cause my waste water line to be pouring out ? Or is that part of the system not working and causing the membrane to not function ?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 AM

Because if its just the membrane i can order a new or if not Im about ready to throw it out and just buy one of the vertex Ro systems
Old 09-07-2015, 04:10 AM

Looking at the Aqua-safe instructions you linked to again & I see it has what's called the "exclusive E-Z Flush Flow Restrictor". Is that what you have on yours or did you retrofit your current adjustable flow restrictor? Where is it in the photo you posted, or do you have a better close up of the thing? If it's a combination flush valve/flow restrictor, maybe there are 2 adjustment mechanisms on it, on for tweaking the flow & another for flushing? Can't tell by your photo or the diagram in the Aqua-safe instructions. If there is indeed a flush mechanism your issue may be a simple as ensuring it's in the "non" flush position?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Because if its just the membrane i can order a new or if not Im about ready to throw it out and just buy one of the vertex Ro systems
The price of a membrane is definitely worth the effort rather than tossing a system that should be repairable. Aside from the complexity with the drinking water circuit, about the only other issue I have with the Aqua-safe unit in your photo is the housings for the sediment filter(s). I like clear ones so I can see when they are getting gummed up, rather than changing them on a calendar based schedule.

There's not a big difference between most RO systems. Other than a variety of bells & whistles, the basic parts are generic components, Vertex included.

Last edited by mike31154; 09-07-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:29 AM

That part is stock never changed it at all its like the one in the picture

Seems to only have one adjustment on it Hrm