Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

is there a reason you can't just make a new hole from the other side? you could even mark 1/2" depth on a large diameter hole saw and save yourself lots of scoring and digging and it would pose no risk to the tank. it might take hours but I'd do new holes rather than have more stuff visible in the tank.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Sadly, that is only for nano-streams. These are the big 6105 pumps. I think that the idea of a small acrylic piece with sand glued to it might be a great option.
I'm a little worried about the strength of the magnets. I know that Tunze says they hold better in water but right now, the magnets on these are rated for 15mm glass and they can't hold the pump without support at the moment...it slides down the wall. My glass is generally 12mm but on that overflow wall, I have two panes totaling 15mm. They make an extension for them that increases the strength to 20mm but I'm waiting until water is in there to check before I spend the $75 to get them.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
is there a reason you can't just make a new hole from the other side? you could even mark 1/2" depth on a large diameter hole saw and save yourself lots of scoring and digging and it would pose no risk to the tank. it might take hours but I'd do new holes rather than have more stuff visible in the tank.
Yes, I'm sure its possible, but with the changes that the builder made, he shrank my space on that back wall by also indenting it from the sides. It looks nicer than my original design, but any hole size increase means that I'm putting my two Vortechs side by side to the Tunze's and I was hoping to spread them out a little more. I will take pictures to explain this better today.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

yeah i see now they are already pretty close together. if it were me and pointing the tunze slightly up didn't work out very well i'd try and move the vortechs up as well. looks like you have unlimited vertical room for holes if the overflow box is narrow enough.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

Okay, so I promised a pic to explain the pump orientation.

Here we go:

Don't mind the teflon tape holding up the magnet, apparently these magnets will hold through 15mm glass when there is water, but dry they tend to fall. I want the pump to be at the top of the hole.

In regards to space, there is about 4 1/2" separating the two pumps (Vortech will be above, Tunze below) and I don't really have anywhere to go up with the Vortech as Plumbing, etc, makes moving it difficult...no to mention cutting through wood up against glass.

Murphy doesn't like me whole lot and I have to consider that in any changes too.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

I'm probably going to have to glue some sand to small acrylic pieces for under my Tunze's...can anyone tell me what I should use as adhesive?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

How about a dremel or modified hand saw to connect the dots between the holes? You may not be happy with fake sand bed you have done all this beautiful work to have something you don't seem 100% positive about

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

yeah I've thought it through a lot and I'm hoping that with the space below the pump I won't need the acrylic pieces plus I will put the seafloor special (larger grains under it). The pumps will be aimed upward.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 AM
Gold Member

Working on rinsing my sand and then getting it in the tank. Can't believe how long it take to rinse this stuff...half Agra Max select and half Seafloor Special.

In the end I figure that I should have about 1" of sand or a little less.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

Trying to get a few more things done. The overflow plumbing is now all dryfit and I will glue tomorrow if I don't spot any more problems (or as long as no-one here does either)

One simple pic. Left is Full Siphon, Right is partial syphon/backup and center is emergency drain.