Water Blaster HY-7000W Pump 11 30.56%
Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One 9000 Water Pump 5 13.89%
Other recommendation 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
Looks like the 4000 will do the job based in RC calculator.
It should, I run a 6000 on my 230g tank.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockrookie View Post
if he had 50 to 100 times in a 90 he must be careful of what substrate he adds to the tank.
I have about 50 times turnover in my tank plus a Tunze Wavebox. I would have more flow, but the LPS are already mad about this higher flow. I'm in the process of moving all LPS out, and will increase flow for the SPS. I had Caribsea Select sand in there that stayed on the bottom, although divots were made where there is heavy flow. The tank is mostly bare bottom now that I removed most of the sand (nothing to do with the flow). Caribsea Special sand is more coarse and is my favourite sand, it is the best sand to use for high flow. It is pricier than the others though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
As for your second post, are you saying that for a 90 gallon SPS tank that a person should be looking for 4500 to 9000 GPH turnover ? If so looks like I need a couple of more powerheads.
Is your tank SPS dominant? If you have any LPS or softies you will have to keep the flow on the lower end of the (4500 gph or so) or you will blow the tissue off the fleshy corals. If you just have SPS or almost all SPS look at two Tunze 6105 powerheads. That's what I'm going to put in my tank once all the LPS are out. They are a good fit for a 90 gallon SPS tank. I will also put my Tunze 6055 behind the rocks to provide flow in that area as well. That's about 8300 gph.

One thing to note, turnover calculations have changed since propeller-type powerheads have dominated the market. Since propeller powerheads provide gentler, wider flow patterns we can get much higher turnover than we could with impeller-type powerheads that provide a very direct, jet-like flow pattern.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-20-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Is your tank SPS dominant? If you have any LPS or softies you will have to keep the flow on the lower end of the (4500 gph or so) or you will blow the tissue off the fleshy corals. If you just have SPS or almost all SPS look at two Tunze 6105 powerheads. That's what I'm going to put in my tank once all the LPS are out. They are a good fit for a 90 gallon SPS tank. I will also put my Tunze 6055 behind the rocks to provide flow in that area as well. That's about 8300 gph.

One thing to note, turnover calculations have changed since propeller-type powerheads have dominated the market. Since propeller powerheads provide gentler, wider flow patterns we can get much higher turnover than we could with impeller-type powerheads that provide a very direct, jet-like flow pattern.
It will be a mixed tank , I will have to ramp up flow as I add SPS later on.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymax View Post
yeah what greg said, thse pumps are affordable powerful and controllable
what more could you ask for?
I am very interested in this one, Like the controllability and the fact that it's DC. My 4000 looks like it will work fine, but I think I will pick one up and play with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockrookie View Post
i like the look of sugar sand and make use of sand sifting stars and an orange spot goby right now in teh 90 i have a koralia 3 and 2 plus the flow from return pump but i dont have alot of sps..yet.. but my new tank the 180 will have 2 koralia 1050s and 2 koralia 750's unlessi can find another used koralia 3 to match one i own already.

should i have more flow ..maybe .. but thats what future upgrades are for.. nothings perfect thefirst time
I can't wait to be up and running and needing my next upgrade
I will have 2 or 3 different layers of sand. 3 if I decide to use sugar.
Right now I have 4 K4's ready to go and a K3 or 2 kicking around. Lots of options. But everytime I see a MP40 my wallet starts twitching......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
It should, I run a 6000 on my 230g tank.
Good thing I put this poll up, my sump and skimmer would be overworked and not really doing what I need them to be doing.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Cugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Flow through the sump has nothing to do with what type of corals are kept. As I said above, the purpose of the return pump is to feed the skimmer water to process. The skimmer can only process so much water, so increasing flow through the sump does no good. If you have a grossly over-sized skimmer then increasing the flow through the sump could possibly achieve a bit heavier skimming, but that would be negligible.

Powerheads are for provide flow for the corals and preventing detritus settling. For SPS corals you're looking in the 50-100x turnover range where LPS and softies are happy with 10-25x turnover.
Very well put Mindy. Maybe decide on your skimmer first and then look at the return pump.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM

Default This is the skimmer

Skimz SM161
http://www.conceptaquatics.ca/index....s/sm121-2.html
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Looks like a good choice for the $ and a nice footprint. It's even smaller than my SK181 with more air too
Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

My vote is for Eheim or Water Blaster.
http://www.goreef.com/Water-Blaster-Pumps
I want my return pump to be silent and reliable and Eheim has proven to be just that. Water Blaster seems to be a good choice but i dont know about reliability though.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks for your opinions.
I have gone with the Waveline as a back up. I like the efficiency and controllability aspects of this pump as I might not need quite as much flow as I was originally thinking.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM

BeanAnimal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Waveline DC5000 would be my choice, go to www.rlss.ca to check it out. I believe or a least hope Mr. Dave @ concepts will be bringing some of these in as well as the larger size pump that is supposed to be coming out.
I just replaced a velocity T4 closed loop pump with a DC5000 and am more than impressed...

http://www.beananimal.com/other/wave...d-dc-pump.aspx

I have waited for a long time for a company to offer a reasonably priced variable speed pump.

I have a DC5000 and DC10000 and will be purchasing a few more. The ReeFlo dart is on its way out the door as soon as I get a chance.