Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Well they say the good lord hates a coward so I might as well wade into this debate.
I do work for an oil company - not Encana - but out of BC. I do remember the NEP and the absolute devistation that brought about so that yet another government could buy eastern votes.
I think that the question every Albertan should be asking is why the heck would we want to give this government yet more $$$. Let's face it, there is more $$$$ going into the government coffers than any Oil Companies. I think who really has to be questioned is the Alberta government. They have seriously mismanaged the $$$ that are going in right now and now they want more! (and one of the above poster said that big corporations are heartless). Maybe if there was more revenue going to the province they could give everyone $500 checks next year. Talk about a stupid way to spend over a billion dollars. Alberta should be ashamed of itself for the condition they have let their roads and infastructure get into. I am old enough to remember the day when driving across the border from BC to Alberta was a startling reminder of how inept the BC government was about maintaining infastructure - it is now the opposite.
People like to talk about big corporations making $ - hello - that is what being in business is all about. It is easy to sit back and be envious of someone or thing that has more than you and point fingers and say it isn't right - that is human nature. But really think about the money that does get put back in to the communities in the way of jobs, income that supports just about every other business in a lot of communities, large corporate donations that help in a big way hospitals, community organizations and charities of all kinds. I work in the community relations part of the industry and can tell you it is not small $$$ we are talking about.
Whew! rant over for now but I could go on.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

1. Please read the exec summary of the royalty report before you comment
2. I think the Journal had commented on that the 1 billion cut from Encanna had already been planned. As the gas side in Alberta is already slowing. Personally you just have to go to Nisku to see all the gas rigs sitting in the yard
3. Corporations make donation for tax purposes...not because of goodwill
4. Alberta is booming...it isn't going to be the Corporation who pays for infrastructure.....royalty taxes will. Don't see any Corp in Fort Mac announcing that they are going to spend profit on a road.
5. Our royalty rules should be reviewed to reflect current conditions
Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
1. Please read the exec summary of the royalty report before you comment
2. I think the Journal had commented on that the 1 billion cut from Encanna had already been planned. As the gas side in Alberta is already slowing. Personally you just have to go to Nisku to see all the gas rigs sitting in the yard
3. Corporations make donation for tax purposes...not because of goodwill
4. Alberta is booming...it isn't going to be the Corporation who pays for infrastructure.....royalty taxes will. Don't see any Corp in Fort Mac announcing that they are going to spend profit on a road.
5. Our royalty rules should be reviewed to reflect current conditions
3. Yes that is true that one most donation there is a tax benefit - as there is for most individual that make donation to registered charities and societies. So if you make a donation you are only doing it for the tax purposes and not the goodwill? Personally if I make a donation the taxation part of it does not come into play. I happen to know that a lot of it is for goodwill on the part of the corporate world but do not for a moment deny that the tax write off does play a part.

4 Exactly - and those royalty taxes come from who????

5 Yes they should be - and it should reflect current costs and risks. It should also more accurately reflect the current state of affairs in the world or market price of both natural gas and oil.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I am reluctantly wading into this one now against possibly my better judgment..

On the day that the royalty review findings were released, I had the opportunity to meet the Honorable Ed Stelmach briefly as he addressed my company's user group forum, which in the room held many industry players from across North America. You'll be happy to know that I asked him some very tough questions. (I asked him what is the difference between the title "The Honorable" and "The Right Honorable." Ohhhh Rick Mercer I am not, but I try. .. I try.)

I have to say, he is a stand up guy. He's very likeable in person.

Anyhow, I am all for a royalty review. However I am a little concerned about the recommendations. I am not certain if they are a bit of a negotiation tactic, ie. if you ask for "X" but expect to get "half X" and so on. I'm not really sure. For sure, with the price of oil, there's room for ... discussion, shall we say.

Not quite aware of the full details of the recommendations but I have read two reports from financial institutions which are giving advice to investors regarding their projections. These are not the oil companies, these are fund managers. And .. well.. they're quick to point out that the recommendations are not law, but they do say there will be negative impacts. The projections seem to indicate that it's the juniors who will bear the worst brunt of this.

But the comments regarding natural gas ... they are indeed correct. I don't understand how gas already can not be profitable, looking at my heating bill .. but it's true, I have seen first hand that there's no money to be made in natural gas at the moment, in fact, there are companies that are in the red.

So .. while I do favour a review of the royalties, I think that there may be a case for compromise at least in some of the points.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 AM

rigger11 is on a distinguished road

i know first hand as to why it is not feasable to drill for the natural gas that we have here in AB. you have to take into consideration the cost of drilling that well. here is an example of the cost break down of a drilling rig per day.
(this is basedon the last rig that i was on, oh and it was drilling for gas up in zama)

$20,000/day jsut for the rig
$500/day for the loader
$500/day for the crewtruck
$3000/day for the camp(maybe more not 100% sureon this 1)
then there is the crew pay anywhere from 11 -13 guys a week wages from $21-39 dollars/hour + overtime
then there is the rental of the drill collars and pipe adn the cost of the drill bits, anywhere from 2-6 bits of different quality and price range(the most expensive one that i saw was $75,000
then there is the cost of the drilling mud(which if it is a bad whole can cost over a million just for the mud)
and then the cost of all the other rentals(shacks,400 bbl tanks, light plants, 3 sided tanks)
and if it is a directional hole then that costs more too....

and well, when it sells at what?? 6.49 per what ever the measurement is...there is not a lot of profit in the gas sector right now.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:31 PM
First Lady

Hello everyone. This thread showed up in a google search I have set up to keep an eye on interest in the Royalty Review.
With that in mind I would like to invite anyone interested to the following:

Quote:
Concerned about Alberta and its future?
The Alberta Alliance is & we would like to meet you!

We invite you to attend a Town Hall style meeting in Calgary

5940 Blackfoot Trail, S.E.
Calgary, AB.

Date:
Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Time:
7:00 PM

Speakers:

Duane Mather, President and CEO of Nabors Canada

John Murdoch, President and CEO of Madison Energy

Paul Hinman, MLA and Leader of the Alberta Alliance Party

The Alberta Alliance was founded on grassroots principles, we welcome all to attend. You will learn more about our party, in particular our stance on the Royalty Review. Members of our provincial council and future candidates will also be in attendance. We look forward to meeting you and sharing our vision for our province’s future.

We would also like to welcome our many new members and thank them for their generous donations.
Through them this event and the advertising have been made possible.
Listen for our radio advertising on QR77, starting on Monday

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Jane Morgan, CFO
Alberta Alliance Party
1-888-262-1888
www.albertaalliance.ca
info@albertaalliance.ca
Old 11-24-2007, 11:58 PM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

Wow! A four page pollitical thread in the lounge. Go figure.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Not quite as simple as govt bad, people good. Who pays for roads, who pays for teachers etc etc. Yes, yes, they waste money but its not that simple. In a perfect world the govt wouldn't spend our money without care and consideration as to where it goes. Also in a perfect world you wouldn't work for a company that is ruining the planet, and I wouldn't drive a car that needed people to ruin the planet. And yes corporations exist for the sole purpose of making money, yeah, basic business 101. But at what price? How far should they be allowed to go? Should One or a group of shareholders be able to dictate laws to govt so it benefits them? There is a reason why the minimum wage is so low, and its not the workers. Should corporations have the same rights as an individual? Should they be allowed to get away with things that the regular folks would go jail for? I dunno about you, but last time i was 2 billion in debt the govt didn't bail me out. How can a business run without making profit for 5 or six years but still gets govt bailouts? Is it simply the govt fault for giving it to them? Should CEO's make millions because they fire people? How much is too much, there is wealth, there is obscene wealth, and then frankly there is ridiculous. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I truly wish the govt would spend wiser, but study political history around the world and you will notice it doesn't matter the platform or the party the govt will always break the promises it makes to get elected. The Tories are no better than the Liberals who are no better than the NDP, with the slight possibility of the green party being somewhat better, but focusing to exclusively on the environment to the detriment of well everything else. When does the good of all of us outweigh the greed of the bastards?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I think that the question every Albertan should be asking is why the heck would we want to give this government yet more $$$.
So, the implication is that if the GOA can't manage it well, it should be given away? Kind of a mismanagement fine, with proceeds to big oil? Given the auditor-general's report, we've already been paying that fine for years.

Once the bucks are in the treasury, I've at least got a chance at seeing them spent to my benefit, or to the public good in some way. Please, though, no more ralph-bucks (eddies-readies)?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

Within the next 30 years, there won't be any fossil fuel burning vehicles.The price of oil will come down dramatically and the major consumer will be the manufacturing industry. During that time frame,prices will remain steady as any supposed increases in demand will be offset by a global concern to go ''green'' The governnent and oil companies revenues will both fall. Anyone want to hold onto any oil stocks?

Last edited by Sebae again; 10-03-2007 at 03:05 AM.