Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 PM

newreefer_59 is on a distinguished road
Default Question re: my Bubble Tip Anemone

Have had my BTA for over a year now and had progressively gotten BIG. Question: is this too big? My tank is 150 gallons and is 5 ' across in this pic. It kills my montiporia as it moves around the tank, but has anchored itself in this spot for several months now. Is it possible to frag it off wih zapping me or killing it? It is very cool as the one resident Clown fish will not leave it for anything.

Anyway, just asking for opinions.

Last edited by newreefer_59; 10-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

you can try to force a split by letting your water quality go down and raise the temp slightly(1 or 2 degrees) then do a massive water change cant frag a bubble tip it splits when it sees fit. another way is to do multiple feedings and then it splits sometimes but none of this is a guarantee its just what we have learned over time.it is getting big possibly consider selling it and just buying a smaller one again
Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM
R.I.P.

it wont zap you or kill you lol i think your safe there unless your highly skin sensitive or allergic
Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Karen Marlin is on a distinguished road

I found that when I didn't feed it my anemone got huge, after i fed...it was more contained....
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
you can try to force a split by letting your water quality go down and raise the temp slightly(1 or 2 degrees) then do a massive water change
Worked for me
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Money pit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Marlin View Post
I found that when I didn't feed it my anemone got huge, after i fed...it was more contained....
This is because the nem is relying on the lights for its nourishment. It will expand itself to create more surface area to absorb the light. When you feed it, it seems smaller because it doesn't need to reach for as much light.

Newreefer, the clownfish is likely to cause you more harm to you than the nem. A good healthy BTA feels sort of sticky, thats about it.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 PM

lee9 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lee9

I saw this video in a BRS email. Not sure if it would work on a large one... or even if a person would want to chance trying it but I thought I would post it.

Coral propagation -- Episode 1: Propagating the rose bubble tip anemone RBTA
In our first episode of the coral propagation series we going to show how to propagate the RBTA rose bubbletip anemone rather than an actual coral. This can not only be a profitable endeavor but you can also help reduce reliance on wild caught anemones and reduction of clownfish habitat. It is possible to use your saltwater reef aquarium to do this at home

http://youtu.be/9HeNy9aWm6I
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 PM

Money pit is on a distinguished road

Back when I had anemone tanks I used to cut them once every 6 weeks or so. These were in dedicated tanks, with only clones of the same nem, and were feed daily. Still in the beginning my success rate was a little better than 50%. in the beginning. If I spit 50 nems, I would end up with about 60-70. Later the average went up, I was maybe getting around 80. What Im saying is that even being raised in a friendly atmosphere my success rate was less than optimal. Cutting it might be a good option, but just be aware that there is a risk involved. With only one, you may end up with 2 or only 1 or worst case 0.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

salinity change, stress, threat, and etc can all cause split. natural split is alway better. but, cutting them also works too. always make sure it's a clean cut through the mouth.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 10-06-2011, 02:36 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9 View Post
I saw this video in a BRS email. Not sure if it would work on a large one... or even if a person would want to chance trying it but I thought I would post it.

Coral propagation -- Episode 1: Propagating the rose bubble tip anemone RBTA
In our first episode of the coral propagation series we going to show how to propagate the RBTA rose bubbletip anemone rather than an actual coral. This can not only be a profitable endeavor but you can also help reduce reliance on wild caught anemones and reduction of clownfish habitat. It is possible to use your saltwater reef aquarium to do this at home

http://youtu.be/9HeNy9aWm6I

cool vid ive seen piles of brs vids but not that one...dont think i would try and cut a anemone this size though, youd need like a machete or something lol