Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 AM

htfn is on a distinguished road
Default adding tangs in 90gal mixed reef

I have a yellow tang(3inch), six line wrass(2inch) and gold banded crown(2inch) in my 90gal mixed reef tank, and would like to add a purple tang or powder brown or both. Im pretty sure my yellow tang will chase them. Do you think is that gonna be a problem? I need your opinion.
Thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Build an isolation box out of eggcrate and zap straps. Place box inside the tank and add the new tang. The old fish will spend the next few days getting all excited at the sight, smell, etc. of the new fish but not be able to touch it. When everyone is calmed down, you can release the new tang. I've used this many times in the past and plan to do so again next week.

Also, add a mirror against the tank and try turning off the lights for a bit. These tend to distract or calm down the agitated original inhabitants. I also tend to feed extra.

Anthony
Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 AM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Build an isolation box out of eggcrate and zap straps. Place box inside the tank and add the new tang. The old fish will spend the next few days getting all excited at the sight, smell, etc. of the new fish but not be able to touch it. When everyone is calmed down, you can release the new tang. I've used this many times in the past and plan to do so again next week.

Also, add a mirror against the tank and try turning off the lights for a bit. These tend to distract or calm down the agitated original inhabitants. I also tend to feed extra.

Anthony
Great idea! I have used the mirror trick and it works but as soon as I took the mirror off they would fight. I put it on and off over the first couple days to calm everything down and by the third day I completely removed it and they still fought for a couple more days but eventualy they got along. I was adding my 4th tang and and the other 3 were not happy lol.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

They're same body shapes so I can see some fighting to possible death. Plus all 3 might be a little tight for space in a 90G.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post

Anthony
That's good idea. How big is the box and how many mirror, each side?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
They're same body shapes so I can see some fighting to possible death. Plus all 3 might be a little tight for space in a 90G.
Yes, I am expecting 3 tangs are tight in my tank. I just can't make up my mind which one. I never thought about purple tang before but they are a half price at our LFS.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Gold Member

Two tangs max. I would say in your size tank (hope you plan an upgrade).

The box I would build would be at least 1' x 1' x 2' in order to fit into your 90g. A bit bigger would be better.

Go with Purple. Powder anything tangs are terrible ick-magnets. The stress will likely cause a big outbreak that will kill at least the Powder Brown.

Same shape yes, but the isolation chamber worked for me to get a school of 6 YTs in my old tank years ago, one at a time.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

All I can say is that I had a yellow tang and a powder brown tang in one of my nineties for two years, only to come home one eavening from work to find the brown dead on the bottom, and the yellow died a few days later.
They tore each other up quite badly.
I'd never seen the aggression in that two years, and after it happened, I had plenty of "I told you so"s from other hobbyists.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM

OK, thanks for your info. I will go for purple tang. However, I'm thinking to do a little bit rock work change before Xmas. Do you think I can keep a baby purple tang in temporally 20gal SPS tank for few weeks? I only have a 3inch lawnmower blenny in that tank.

Last edited by htfn; 11-26-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Gold Member

If there is much of a size difference, especially with the new tang being much smaller than the old one, that can be a recipe for disaster. Much safer IME if the new tang is bigger (i.e. tougher) since the old tang will have home tank advantage, so to speak.