Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-07-2009, 12:52 AM

tredford8 is on a distinguished road
Default Odyssea skimmer

The review on odyssea lights reminded me that I was thinking of buying a skimmer and maybe some pumps from aquatraders. Anybody had experience with their skimmers, return pumps or powerheads or any advice?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 AM

Stones is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine bought a Jebo 180 made by Odyssea a few years back. First off, it came with the wrong pump and no venturi attachment. So he waited another month for the correct pump to come in and finally got it running. Then the water level in the skimmer was too high and kept overflowing into his collection cup. So after some DIY dremel work, he was able to get the water level set so that it was producing some decent skimmate. It did however overflow again in a few weeks time and almost got him kicked out of his apartment. I would not recommend this skimmer based on his experience. He ended up buying a CPR bak pak and was much happier with it.

If you are looking for a decent hang on back skimmer, I'd be tempted to give this model a try:

http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers/bmqq-external.html

It is a recirculating HOB skimmer and looks to be quite promising. Its price is also comparable to the Odyssea skimmer so I'd take this one hands down. I've never seen a recirc type hang on back but with this type of design, it should produce much more skimmate than a typical venturi driven hang on back skimmer.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:55 AM

tredford8 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. That one looks pretty decent, I'm also looking at a RS Prizm from MOPS maybe too.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:11 AM

phreezee is on a distinguished road

Look at Octopus skimmers, they were all the rage on RC back in the day when they first ame out and were cheap. Haven't kept current with the latest designs and pricing.