Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You're going to upset Tony with all this talk. Apparently Calgary traffic is solely designed to annoy him. Maybe he should move?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Not to get onto it too much, but I could write an essay about what is wrong with that. The reality is that the needs of the population are not going to go away and the "solution" as it were, is not to move, but rather should more involve things like that municipalities doing a better job of forward thinking, and thinking outside the box in their policy decisions. I would much prefer to personally take mass transit for a work commute but it isn't a viable option nor will it be for me for possibly another 20 years. Frankly I hope to be not working by then. This morning as I looked around at the cars around me, very very few had more than one occupant. If that doesn't annoy you, great and good for you ... but instead it annoys you that I'm annoyed by it, then frankly that speaks more about you than it does me.

You have a nice tank Kien, very enviable.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
but instead it annoys you that I'm annoyed by it, then frankly that speaks more about you than it does me.

I think it's more amusement than annoyance Have you thought about riding a bike to work? Might be good for the soul to pass all the cars with one occupant. Might also be cold -lol
Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
but instead it annoys you that I'm annoyed by it, then frankly that speaks more about you than it does me.

You have a nice tank Kien, very enviable.
1. I totally agree with you that the city should be doing more to improve infrastructure. I am not sure that there are too many Calgarians that will disagree with this.

2. I don't recall saying that I was annoyed at anything? There are a lot of things in this world that are out of our control and we just simply have to live with it. It's not like I have never sat in traffic before. Yes, it's brutal, but it is what it is. Nothing I say or do is really going to change that. Instead, I just take a deep breath, turn on the radio and sing along :-) Or as Brad suggested, I could ride my bike to work. There's a guy on my Runkeeper street team who has been commuting to work on his mountain bike from Country Hills to downtown every day so far this winter.

3. Your tank is nicer than mine.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM
ChizerBunoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
For comparison sake I'm going to throw up my 250watt, 15K Metal Halide picture again. Note also that no T5s are on, just the Metal Halide. Also, these bulbs are about 8 months old so they are due for replacement which means they're probably burning closer to 12K or 13K.

Metal Halide.

Next up is the Mitras at full blast. All channels, all on. (identical camera exposure settings as the Metal Halide photo).

Not only was the Mitras brighter, it blew all those SPS colonizes at the bottom of the tank away. Now das awesome.

Have you decided which unit you want to move over to? Or are you still part of the no LEDs club?

My clowns are just like yours, they never venture away from their cave.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
Not only was the Mitras brighter, it blew all those SPS colonizes at the bottom of the tank away. Now das awesome.

Have you decided which unit you want to move over to? Or are you still part of the no LEDs club?

My clowns are just like yours, they never venture away from their cave.
Well, I wouldn't say that I am necessarily NO LEDs. I'm quite open to the idea of switching to LEDs if I could just find one that I liked. This is why I've been trying a bunch out. I still prefer my MH and T5 combo for its over all look. However, if my fixture were to break today and I could not replace it with another one, I would either go with a Kessil 350W and T5 combo or just the Mitras.

Ya, I could probably place my anemone and clowns into a cup of water and they probably wouldn't notice. In fact, they might be happier since they don't really enjoy the company of any of the other fish. Mostly they get annoyed whenever someone swims near their anemone.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Yes, you are right Tai. I have a very easy 5 min commute to work with virtually no traffic. And this is exactly why I don't mind Calgary traffic (from my perspective). I don't really experience what goes on beyond my 5 km radius of work-chinook centre-Deerfoot meadows. So ya, im sure traffic is horrible elsewhere in the city, but i dont live elsehwere. I live where i do because traffic is nice here :-)

Having said that, I am a strong believer of the notion that if there is something you can change, don't bitch about it. Don't like your commute? Move. It's not like there is a shortage of housing in the city. Or wait, did someone force you to live where you live??? :-)
Well I used to walk to my old work place but then the company decides to spend our bonus on rent in down town instead. Traffic is actually not too bad for me with my work hours 9:30 to 4:00 but I can understand why ppl is complaining about Calgary traffic.

I love where i live more than trouble i have to deal with commute so not really complaining, just saying you don't know what Calgary traffic is like during rush hours and you said it is not too bad which is kind of wrong statement :-)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
Calgary traffic is like during rush hours and you said it is not too bad which is kind of wrong statement :-)
Well, I think it's all relative. Calgary traffic is different in different parts of the city. Yes, I realize there are some really bad traffic areas, but there are some decent traffic areas as well. I drive over Deerfoot every day and I can see it backed up for as far as the eye can see, so ya, I can see how the people sitting in those cars would consider Calgary traffic terrible. But for the record, I never said Calgary traffic wasn't that bad. I think I said that I didn't mind the traffic. There's a difference there :-)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I have to agree, my commute in and out of downtown from my house is between 10-45 minutes. With nobody on the road at 6:15am I can make it door to door in 10 minutes with the lights in my favour. If I have to work late and leave at 4pm it takes me 45 minutes to get home soley due to volume.

A trip from my house to any of our LFs is at least 45 minutes from door to door and again its volume more so then anything.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I have to agree, my commute in and out of downtown from my house is between 10-45 minutes. With nobody on the road at 6:15am I can make it door to door in 10 minutes with the lights in my favour. If I have to work late and leave at 4pm it takes me 45 minutes to get home soley due to volume.

A trip from my house to any of our LFs is at least 45 minutes from door to door and again its volume more so then anything.
Ya, and sometimes the volume is completely unpredictable. I am surrounded by industrial parks which seems to be quite variable. Sometimes I can fly up and down Glenmore Trail, while other times (at the exact same time of day and on the same day) I could easily be at a stand still on Glenmore and not due to any accidents. Just volume in the area for whatever reason. Also, 18th Street SE which runs right through my community (Riverbend) has now been opened up at both ends with access from Deerfoot in the south. Some days it's all normal and there's a typical amount of flow on 18th Street while other times people appear to be jumping off of the Deerfoot and detouring onto 18th Street which causes grid lock through my community. I've been caught in it a few times but it is what it is.