Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Haven't updated in a while.

From my conversations with Jasper's parents, it is clear he really enjoyed the tank during the weeks he had it. They actually moved it into his bedroom so he could look at his fish and corals all day when it became difficult to be his normal active self. I think we should all take great comfort from the fact that Jasper thoroughly enjoyed his reef tank during that time and his parents still love the tank today.

When I went up to Powell River in late August, I brought them a new fish (candy hogfish) to replace the Royal Gramma that didn't last very long when I first installed the tank. Marie continues to help keep an eye on the tank and provide freshly mixed saltwater for water changes. I am overjoyed that Jasper's tank brings his parents some comfort and happy memories during the last couple of months which must have been the toughest anyone can imagine.

I will continue to keep in touch with Jasper's parents by text and phone. When I go up to visit Powell River in the future, we will also bring them fresh frags and new fish (as needed) so they have something new and colourful to look at.

I again want and need to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart who took on this cause as their own and helped provide Jasper with something he could enjoy during the time he had it. I just thought everyone would want to know that his parents are keeping Jasper's tank and enjoying it everyday. It is now sort of a living memorial to that brave little boy.

Going to go kiss my little girls (Felicia and Isabella) now, even though they are asleep.

Anthony
Old 09-11-2013, 04:10 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Anthony
I was happy to be a small part of Jasper's tank project, thanks for the update on your contact with his parents. I'm glad to hear they are enjoying the reef tank, with the memory of their brave little boy in their hearts.
You are a true humanitarian and I'm proud to be your friend.
Cheers Laurie
Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Gold Member

One last update. Texted with Jasper's dad and found out that they were eventually unable to keep up with maintaining the tank and most of the frags & fish were re-homed with Marie. They again want to thank everyone who donated to making their son's, Jasper, dream of having his very own reef tank a reality. They have really enjoyed having the tank and it brought untold amounts of joy to Jasper during his last weeks, which is really more than we could have ever hoped for. I am sorry Jasper only got to enjoy his reef tank for a few weeks, but anything that can bring a smile at that time in his life is really well worth the effort and expense.

Reading this thread and the related threads on this project, from conception to completion, has brought me great happiness and sadness at the same time. I only met Jasper on that first trip (didn't make it back in time on the second trip), but he made a lasting impression on myself and my own little girl, Felicia, who made that memorable father-daughter trip up to Powell River with me. She still sometimes mentions Jasper and we talk about that trip and why we went up.

Again, I need to express my deepest thanks to everyone who donated, participated or gave moral support for this very worthwhile project. The tank may now be dismantled, but the spirit of community and human kindness expressed by everyone on Canreef and BCAquaria, from across Canada for an ill little boy who wanted to have a reef tank continues to inspire me and renew my faith in the goodness in people. Thanks from myself, Felicia and Jasper's family for making this project a reality.

Sincerely,

Anthony
Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I was thinking about Jasper and his tank a few weeks ago and wondering what ever came about. Does Marie have the Clownfish I donated?

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

In response to another thread on BCA, I took the opportunity to revisit this thread.

Sorry for the late reply Mindy. I believe when Jasper's parents eventually shut down Jasper's tank, all the livestock including your donated clownfish went to live with Marie.

Just spent the last few minutes reading this thread from start to finish and still ended up bawling like a little girl. So many memories, good and bad, brought up and as the father of two little girls I love more than life itself, I just cannot imagine losing a child. One of them, my Felicia, even went up with me to meet Jasper and help with this project.

All you Canreef parents, please go hug and kiss your kids now.

Merry Christmas to my Canreef family and again, thanks to everyone who helped support this project from start to finish. Know that it was all worth it.

Anthony
Old 01-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

This was certainly an easy project to be a part of, and a tough project to close. I shed many tears, and I never met Jasper or his family. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

SPS fanatic.