Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Could possibly introduce microbubbles, also makes salt creep like mad. Could you maybe try a hydor koralia? I think the magnet feture would enable you to put it on a cylindrical tank.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 AM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road

i never asked when i was told about not putting an airstone in a marine tank i guess thats because i was just trying to get the basics at the time i need to know what exactly makes micro bubbles bad anyway?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

If you don't have some kind of surface water removal (to a sump), then an airstone in the tank will turn your tank into a full size protein skimmer. You'll have a good scum on the surface.

When I had my hex tank, I ran the return pump from the sump into a SQWD which split into two opposing outlets in the hex. Every 30 seconds or so, the current would change from clockwise to counterclockwise.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 AM

Telford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
If you don't have some kind of surface water removal (to a sump), then an airstone in the tank will turn your tank into a full size protein skimmer. You'll have a good scum on the surface.

When I had my hex tank, I ran the return pump from the sump into a SQWD which split into two opposing outlets in the hex. Every 30 seconds or so, the current would change from clockwise to counterclockwise.
So you're saying a airstone in a cylinder tank isn't a bad idea?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telford View Post
So you're saying a airstone in a cylinder tank isn't a bad idea?
I think he is joking with you. Using an airstine is not going to help with flow in your tank. There has to be a rock that you can hide a PH behind or hang one up high pointing downwards.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

If you have a cylindrical tank, how about placing a powerhead down in the rock work with a vertical spraybar? You would need to deal with the cord somehow.. If your rock work went to the surface you could hide the cord and the spraybar that way. Depending on the size of the tank you might be able to put something bigger in there, a Mag or some other submersible pump.

You may be able to run it the opposite direction..power at the top of the tank..spraybar facing down.. Need to hide the whole thing in the rocks though, if possible.

Last edited by Parker; 02-05-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Telford,

Welcome to Canreef by the way...Always glad to see a fellow Okanaganer on here.

As for creating flow, I'm pretty sure you could run Hydors as their mount is partially suction cup. I have a Hydor 4 that I'm not using right now that we could try with when I'm in Kelowna sometime. I know Hydor Nano's would work because mine is stuck to a curved surface right but the flow is so little that it would do nothing for you. You would need 10 of them to get anything really going. Tunze's are a hard cup mount and will not work for you.

I also don't see why a Seio wouldn't work for you either (it would just take a little modding to the suction cup mounts.

Whatever you decide, you want flow or cyano will become one of your big enemies.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Mseepman...thanks. I could definetly use help/advice. This is my first tank i've ever set up and i had a guy that was going to help me but he's disappeared so i'm left to figure stuff out on my own. Obviously reading all these different posts etc is a great education but it would be nice for someone with some experience to see what i have first hand. If you are able to come see what i have and answer some question it would be much appreciated. Just PM me and i'll send you my phone number. I live downtown by Prospera Place.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Okguy is on a distinguished road

Hi Telford, I agree with Mark, you should be able to get some kind of power head in the tank with a couple of slight modifications. But if not you could look at setting up a closed loop system using a SCWD water changer as untamed described... You could probably get some wicked turbulence going in a circular tank. If you're ever in Vernon and want to look at my setup, just let me know.

HTH

Kevin

50g tank 23g DIY Acrylic Sump\Refugium

Sold Dec 2009

Vacation Fun: http://members.shaw.ca/cabin54/
Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okguy View Post
Hi Telford, I agree with Mark, you should be able to get some kind of power head in the tank with a couple of slight modifications. But if not you could look at setting up a closed loop system using a SCWD water changer as untamed described... You could probably get some wicked turbulence going in a circular tank. If you're ever in Vernon and want to look at my setup, just let me know.

HTH

Kevin
Thanks...i'll definetly let you know if i'm in the area