Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

btw......your man is a pretty funny guy
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 AM

DisneyCoralReef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
+1.....if you've got water(salted) in the tank and are happy with how the return and drains are functioning (aside from the noise(that will just take some tweaking)).....then get your rock in there Girly!......the rock doesnt care how cloudy the water is......might as well get the cycle started......

I cant remember if your return lines are over the top or if they are drilled???....if they are drilled, then I wouldnt "suspend" the return pump.....the pump vibration coupled with the weight of the pump and plumbing hanging from it could over time cause the bulkhead hole to fail and crack....best and easiest to go with a piece of dampening foam or rubber under the pump imho....
They are over the edge. The tank I bought only had a corner overflow. It was through one of the forum members, that the plumbing was all set, and we were able to have it go over the top. I'm going to give it a go with the foam tonight and the rest of the set up and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Default Noise update

We added some rock to the sump last night, and it's made a big difference. I've also filled that corner overflow all the way near the top, so it's less noisy as well. I am still wanting to add an extension to the skimmer to try to take THAT noise down as well as the foam.

Will keep you posted, pictures to come.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 PM

So we added the rock to the sump, instantly took some noise down, but I also noticed something else which I thought was unusual. Now the rock we added is dry, dead as dead can be-rock, within 18 hours following the addition of the rock to the sump(and I dont know that this its actually possible-because this makes no sense to me), but the tank got much clearer, to the point where you couldn't see a thing before in the tank, and now you can suddenly see the power heads and a vague outlines of the sand.

Does the rock itself(even dead) affect the way the water now goes through the sump and allow for the water to get clearer? is this coming from the skimmer that's now working differently?

I know I have read online the skimmer can suddenly "break in", tho Im not sure how you would know that, but maybe that would explain the response to the tank?

I've started to move the sand more evenly in the tank so it's quite a big messy again. For those iphone users curious to see the tank live, I have air cam installed live and have the IP address and password for those who want to see the tank-just pm me. Still need to add foam to the pump to still continue to try to bring the sound down.

Last edited by DisneyCoralReef; 07-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

if your sump rock is like my sump rock was you'll find it does a great job of trapping a ton of detritus you don't want it to. I'm sure it's helping clear your water. i took my rock out and saw a positive difference in my display however.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Ok got the piping for the sump(hope it's the right size), and got some foam, and for FREE I do have a question tho. This particular store said it's difficult to find that pink foam, and said they carry the blue version of that "same" foam. Now I'm not entirely convinced that it is the same thing, however took the piece because it was free. I will have to cut around there was glue, but it's a great piece otherwise.

Do you guys know if this would be safe to put in the sump vs the pink foam?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

It will be fine. What do you mean the water is cloudy? Did you not put your sand in a few days ago? It should be clear by now, like within a day and a half at the most. Are you sure it's not micro bubbles that you are seeing? Try turning your skimmer off for a few hours, that could causing the micro bubbles. Your powerheads might also be stirring up the sand. But really it should totally clear by now.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
It will be fine. What do you mean the water is cloudy? Did you not put your sand in a few days ago? It should be clear by now, like within a day and a half at the most. Are you sure it's not micro bubbles that you are seeing? Try turning your skimmer off for a few hours, that could causing the micro bubbles. Your powerheads might also be stirring up the sand. But really it should totally clear by now.
No it's far from clear. I put the sand in about a week ago now? I do have the power heads on, tho the first 2 days they were not on and it made no difference. Should I try without again? if you have an iphone I could send you the live feed so you can see the tank. Pictures won't load otherwise. I will have to wait until I am home.

Last edited by DisneyCoralReef; 07-13-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:39 AM

The tank until tonight. We added the dry rock and foam-HUGE difference, appreciate all the advice.

Now onto waiting for the tank to clear?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:47 PM

megs_clark is on a distinguished road

If the foam doesnt work you might try a piece of those Sylicon cooking ware. I had sylicon ice cube trays I never used and slid it under my pump and had no noise. Think I got it for like $2 @ superstore. Their nice because they dont slide around at all and are easy to clean.