Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 AM

fishmanty is on a distinguished road
Default Ty's 150gal Project

Decided to start this so I can keep track of my plans for a 150g (5x2x2), and get tips/suggestions towards making it even better.

First off, I've been out of the SW life for 4-5 years while I finished a degree. Now I have it, so its back into the hobby. I will be setting up a 45gal cube shortly here to get my by until I'm ready to setup a bigger tank. Lots of this equipment below will be tested on the 45gal, and if I'm not sold on it, I'm changing it prior to the 150gal being setup.

Equipment:
Tank: 150gallon - 5'x2'x2' starphire, internal overflow with a herby system. 2 returns.
Sump: Undecided so far. Not sure what will work best for a reef tank (Going to give a go at SPS this time around)
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Nac7
Heater: 300watt Titanimum controller off a controller. 100watt backup (Want to keep it small enough that if it gets stuck on, it shouldn't be able to fry my tank in a hurry)
Controller: ReefKeeper Elite with ORP/pH module (Only going to monitor Temp and pH though) also with net adapter (For fun) and 8 plugins
Doser: GHL 3 head doser controller with balling salts and three 2.5L canisters
Sand: Caribsea Live sand (Same story with trying it in the 45gal first)
Flow: 1 MP40w ES (So far, if it goes well on the 45 I will get more)
Lights: 1 Radion (Same story, if I like it, I'll get more for the 150gal - probably 3)
Return Pump: Undecided. Something quiet and efficient. Quiet is the number one priority
RO system: BRS 75gpd 5stage with drinking water attachments and vessel(So I can add it to my kitchen if I so please)

Corals:
Not quite there yet... Lots of brancy SPS and such, as I'm a sucker for those. Still got lots to research... however with all the amazing frags I keep seeing, I suspect it will be a buy whats for sale kind of deal through canreef.

Fish:
2 clowns, with probably a neon green carpet
Cleaner shrimp
Archilles tang
Something that schools - Couple tangs maybe, but don't want to overload my tank too fast, so maybe just some chromis'
Usual cleanup crew

So, I'm definitely up for any tips/suggestions/etc for this system, as I want to put the time in now and do it right. I was never fully satisifed with my old setups, and I want this one to be a dream setup for me.

Last edited by fishmanty; 04-18-2012 at 03:05 AM.