Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road
Default New 46 Gallon bow reef

ok well here goes like title says got a tank been cycling 2 weeks picking up lights (not sure let u know friday) the powerhead looks small do i need 2? got flow in the back from the canister filter makes the water rotate on its own.(ill take pics this weekend) got live sand from seller but i dont know if i like it its fine sand and kicks up REALLY easy advice welcome (again pics fri).canister filter eheim 2217 was reading it was rated for 75 gallons if its the right one, stealth200w sub,remora skimmer? HOB (dont think its the pro but i pick up friday), no live rock it will be last for of course financial complications 480 bucks is alot when i just spent 500 on equipment looking to buy used (if any offers) AND aiming for Fish / coral Dec25-jan25

ANY advice is appreciated and pics for ideas would be cool thinking an island somewhere in the tank for a coral species mabey a bridge with cave system

P.S whats a good stocking rule 1/2 inch to a gallon or the 1 fish to 10 gallon iv heard both
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

You will want to get the live rock in sooner rather than later. There is often die off during transport and that will result in a cycle after adding the live rock.

Really fine sand such as sugar sand will settle in after a short while. The really fine particles sink to the bottom of the sand bed and then it doesn't kick up too bad. And because it will be the heavier particles that do kick up they settle back down quickly. But there are lots of substrates to choose from.

As far as flow goes 10X water turnover per hour is generally considered the minimum. So for a 46 gallon tank 460 gph would be the minimum.

Canister filters are generally considered to be nitrate factories, meaning they can cause high nitrates if not cleaned often. Most people with a reef tank remove the filter media and only use the canister for flow. The live rock will be your filtration.

Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM

TY If i remember correctly the powerhead was rated for 460, but ill get to see in 2 more days lol. might be getting some live rock in a tank im thinking of buying for my FW fish, but its covered in red algea or somthing but i have no info yet. so the canister wont even be usefull with diff media in it? will i needthe canister at all if i got the powerhead, or is it possible to turn the canister into a refugium? and iv noticed so far that the dust from sand took 2 days to settle when i was leveling it out so i moved alot os sand around but it seemed long, it is my first SW. but all in all the pics will tell the story .... hurry friday.

Last edited by Aquaria; 11-19-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM

freddy is on a distinguished road

Good to here,I have a 46 gallon bowfront too,have had it running for over 2yrs.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy View Post
Good to here,I have a 46 gallon bowfront too,have had it running for over 2yrs.
OMG you have no idea how exctied i am now after seeing your tank lol people are going to walk in my house and say WoW lol since its the first thing you see from the front door well that and my kitchen :P great tank i want bubble coral so bad
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM

what do you have for daily weekly and monthly matanince after 2 years? as i heard that the older it is the more self sustained it is

Last edited by Aquaria; 11-19-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
so the canister wont even be usefull with diff media in it? will i needthe canister at all if i got the powerhead, or is it possible to turn the canister into a refugium?
If you have enough flow from the powerheads you don't need the canister. Since you have it though there are probably some articles floating around on how to mod it into a fuge. You could also toss some carbon in it when needed.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Ty ill prob be able to find a use for it lol
Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 AM

well i got good news and bad. ,good is that my cycle was almost done and bad new is when i tried to "modify" the brace it broke BIG mistake. I did however want to change the suger sand stuff to a more course live sand like http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...ckreefsand20lb so it was a good thing. i checked aquagiant in edmonton, SS store said NS store does custom bracing. thinking of getting a glass brace put in, mabey a small eurobrace / center brace idk though calling tomorrow see whats possible. 2 weeks from now should have tank fixed, sand in, filled, cycling and get fish and coral in no time. Just a little setback BUT i do have some pics. but i got plans for the top to have a tab inside the tank, for the lid thats in the pics to sit on. once its all set up i think it will be a great tank to look at.
oh and i know its in front of the window but were getting a heavy black drape to hang and sealing that window for the winter. while i had it running temp was stable even after it snowed no flucuations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (32.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (26.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0048.jpg (23.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.jpg (29.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (33.8 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Aquaria; 11-24-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 AM

So i got a price quote on the glass brace install and its 30 bucks. went to blueworld today, nice place a bamboo shark just hatched. going to get some indo pacific black live sand ordered in. i want a tank with some lps, bubble, hammer, brain, is my current 4x39w T5HO (single reflector i think, idk if that matters) good enough to house them.