Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-15-2009, 12:38 AM

Fragzilla is on a distinguished road
Wink Frags 120 gallon reef room divider (LOTS of pics added April 8, 10)

Well this is my 1st post on this site although I have been lurking around for a while now. I have had a saltwater tank for 15yrs which i have really enjoyed but never really went over the top with it. Now is the time!

I am staring to put together a room divider between my family room and kitchen which will be a 120 gallon reef tank. I will be custom building the stand and having a tank built with eurobracing. I will be building the sump and ref. myself with lots of questions from you guys

Here is a pic of my current tank:

Here is where the tank is going to go:

Its going where the xmas tree is so it won't be going into place till after the season.

Couple of questions for you:

1) my current tank is 75 gallonish. the one i am thinking about building is 48 x 24 x24. Being that i am building it I could very the size. Should I look at building a different size? and if so why?

2) Going to have an external overflow mounted on one end as three side will be visable. How many holes should I put in the bottom of it and what size?

3) what size of sump/ref should I build? how many sections? and what goes where ( I am a total NOOB when it comes to sumps)

4) plumbing? out of the overflow what goes where?

I may want to expand with equipment so I want to do this right the 1st time.

I thank you all in advance and sorry if these seam like simple/stupid questions but I am trying to peice this all together.

Jeff

Last edited by Fragzilla; 04-08-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Title
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

If I was gonna recommend anything,

1) I would try and add a 1 or 2 feet to the length of the tank, especially if you plan on keeping the Sailfin as they do get quite large..

2) Depends what style of overflow you want, but if you go with a Herbie, you will need 1 for your main drain, and 1 for the emergency standpipe. If you want to run your return back through the overflow, a 3rd would be needed.

3)Larger the better, whatever you can afford and fit under your tank (unless you can do a basement sump) fishytime has a decent 3 compartment sump design.

4)refer to 3^ he's got it all documented.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

I would go with a herbie overflow, as JDigital said you will require two holes for that. 1.5" bulkheads should do the trick.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 AM

whats a herbie?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

This is a basic Herbie Overflow system.

One Drain takes the ALL the flow for the tank... the 2nd pipe is above the waterline in the overflow box. Should the main drain get blocked, the water level with rise, once is rises over the emergency, that pipe will be able to handle all the flow as it is straight through without any valves..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-16-2009, 10:58 PM

OK - i went to the lfs and now I know what a herbie is yes i will have a herbie.

while i was there i spec. my tank out and will have it the start of the new year. Now I am off to pick up some lumber and start building, should have the basic frame completed tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
If I was gonna recommend anything,

3)Larger the better, whatever you can afford and fit under your tank (unless you can do a basement sump) fishytime has a decent 3 compartment sump design.

4)refer to 3^ he's got it all documented.

I searched for out but could find it - ayone have a direct link?

Jeff
Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40669
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks - ill be checking that out
Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 PM

After a trip to the local harware store - let the fun begin...All internal joints were sealed with silicone. Then the inside was painted with two coats of melamine paint for ease of clean up.

The extension of the two bottom rails is for a two foot cabinet unit - may or may not do it this way. I am planning to have a shelving unit against the wall then an 8" enclosure for all the piping going to the sump and then the tank. The tank will be viewable from the family room, kitchen and the front entry.

Now I need to figure out how I am going to finish my cabinet. I am also working on sump design and what I am going to build it out of....
Jeff

Last edited by Fragzilla; 01-04-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fix Pictures
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Well i got started at some of the finishing carpentry. After looking at a number of other members builds I going to build pillars on the four corners. I am no "pro" at this by no means but will give it a try - here is to hoping for a good result.

question - how do i get my pics to show up on my post as opposed to having a link to the pic? as well it seams like I can only get two pics in my attacments...?

HELP IM SO CONFUSED