Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 AM

rdnicolas is on a distinguished road
Default How would you spend 10k for a 8'lx2'wx3'h Setup

Hi everyone,

I'm planning in building an in wall tank as part of my basement development and I'm looking for some feedback as to what kind of equipment I should budget for. I currently own a 77 gallon tank with 100lbs of lr which will be eventually be moved into the larger tank. I'm looking to get an 8 footer since I want to use my existing 4' coralife pro hood in the new tank and just pick up a second one.

shopping around, It appears that the tank I'm looking for will be in the 4-5 k range with starphire glass. I'm also budgeting up to 1k for used rocks and sand from fellow reefers.
This leaves 5-6k for everything else.

I have attached a layout of my development plans. one question I have is whether i've have made adequate space provisions for this system. Any suggestions?

Thx in advance

Reggie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008-01-22 Furniture Plan.pdf (33.1 KB, 160 views)
Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 PM

TRIX is on a distinguished road

I would extend your fish room a bit. It doesn't look like you have much room bettween the furnace and the tank.

Corals
Purple Mushrooms, Kenya Trees,
Fish/Inverts
Brittle Starfish,,Long spine Urchin,Snails,Crabs, Snowflake Eel,Coral Beauty,
Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Am I reading that right? 36" high? Wowsers! I hope you have long arms

I would look at spending the rest of your money on a top notch skimmer (Bubble King Deluxe 200/250 perhaps?), a calcium reactor and zeovit system. What about designing a convenient/practical water change system in the room behind? Do you already have an RO/DI unit?

You may also want to consider a chiller, considering you're going to be running some hot lights combined with the furnace/water heater behind, etc. And...ventilation/dehumidification might be a consideration, too.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Like TRIX said it does look tight.

Could place items such as water mixing barrel, shelf for test kits, ro/di units, salt buckets in drawing to help.

36" you'll need room to get in. Think how you'll be mounting your lights, will they be on rails so they can slide out of the way and if so do you have room (furnace).

Though with the pool table close might be taking a chance but consider being able to view from side as well (corner tank idea or port hole). Some of the best tanks (I think) is when you have that large front to back depth. Or even consider different dimensions.

Here's links to tanks that give the depth perspective:
http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_aquascaping.htm
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showt...&highlight=400
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showt...hlight=plywood

Should also consider a laundry sink.

Whatever you do, need build pictures.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Welcome to Canreef Reggie. Looks like a great project. I will move this thread to the reef forum for a better response.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Yup, it looks too tight. If this is a fish only system the tank dimensions would be good. If you are planning on a reef I would go with 8'L X 24"D X 36"W. It'll be easier to work on, better light for the corals, and look way cooler.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I agree with everyone that your room is probably a little too tight for the size of tank that you are hoping to have. A 36" deep tank will need some type of ladder or catwalk to reach into it and that will take some signifcant space from you.

Also, I was wondering why you put your sump as far away from the tank as you have. This just involves more plumbing, bigger pumps and more opportunities for problems.

Here is a good build thread for you to look at which shows some of the things you should look at.
http://www.reeflounge.com/showthread.php?t=24425

Otherwise, sounds great! By the way, how often do you have 24 people over to watch a movie? lol

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Wow thats going to be a sweet pad. Look foward to pics.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Plan for RO/DI water storage somewhere in the fish room. You also need a sink and room for an additional tank for saltwater mixing.

I like that the sump is not squished under the tank, but I would try to find room for a longer sump as opposed the square one you have in drawing.

I also think that exposing the corner of the tank to the pool room is a 1st class idea.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

I would go insane trying to reach down 3'. Knowing me everything would fall down just where I couldn't get it with arm or grabber thingie. (Note: buy grabber thingie, lol)

A big sink I agree would be a great addition. Everyone has chimed in with some great ideas already. If you could vent to the outside that would also cut down on heat and humidity. The addition of an auto water change system would be an enormous plus for a tank that size. Make sure you put in lots of GFCI outlets.

Last edited by sharuq1; 01-23-2008 at 08:22 PM.