Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 PM

IronChefItaly is on a distinguished road

Really common misconception that every RODI unit is equipped to remove chlorine/chloromines from municipal water supply. Very few are, and if your carbon manufacturer doesn't state it, chances are the majority of them are getting through - this is why I still dose my RODI water with Aquavitro Alpha. BulkReefSupply covers this topic very well, see the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEL8KvDr3-k
Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 PM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the heads up. I think my carbon filter is a chloramine plus but ill check my water to male sure.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 PM

IronChefItaly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
Appreciate the heads up. I think my carbon filter is a chloramine plus but ill check my water to male sure.
Of everything in tapwater, chlorine/chloromine is the only thing we know to be present at levels that are directly harmful to our livestock. To operate a reef successfully long term is all about acknowledging and mitigating risk. At the expense of a few ml of Seachem Prime or Aquavitro Alpha, you eliminate any risk of fluctuating concentrations or the actual effectiveness of your carbon block. One of the more worthwhile practices to adopt in my mind.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:37 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Actually noticed my water outta sink really is strong smelling today.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 PM

kyl is on a distinguished road

A strong chlorine odor will usually occur if they're main flushing in your area, be it from routine maintenance or pipe replacement and repair (main breaks). You can confirm if routine maintenance or a repair has taken place with a call to your city's engineering customer service number. Additionally they should have put local notices out before doing any main flushing maintenance work.

AFIAK none of the drinking water in the GVRD contains added Chloramines, Metro decided long ago that Chlorine treatment would be the safest option for the regional population and ecosystem. You can confirm as such though again with a call to your city's engineering customer service desk.