Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 11-09-2019, 05:14 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I like a larger return section simply for the dead space for emergency overflow if the power goes out.

+ 1 on that idea; you can never have too much emergency space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
IMO a fuge is a waste of space. You can achieve better results using a reactor. About the best thing it does is house pods but not sure how many would make it through a return pump.

I have and have run both. Reactors are good while the tank is new, to bring down phosphates, nitrates, etc. And while I agree that a fuge takes more room, it is more beneficial in the long run. It adds biodiversity; it creates an ecosystem of sorts, and it lowers nitrates and phosphates, without GFO and other media. I haven't run GFO in years. The pods are just an added bonus...
Old 11-09-2019, 08:20 PM

target is on a distinguished road

Removed the ATO section. Skimmer area is now 11g, return is 12g, and fuge is 16.5g. Leaves me with 26.5g for backflow room. If I put the return nozzle 3" below the underside of the plastic trim I'd have 21g of overflow assuming the water level was right up to the trim, which the sump could handle. But the water level will probably be closer to only 2" of backflow, which would be only 14g of backflow, leaving me a good safety cushion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180g Sump2a.jpg (10.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 02:35 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
+ 1 on that idea; you can never have too much emergency space.

I have and have run both. Reactors are good while the tank is new, to bring down phosphates, nitrates, etc. And while I agree that a fuge takes more room, it is more beneficial in the long run. It adds biodiversity; it creates an ecosystem of sorts, and it lowers nitrates and phosphates, without GFO and other media. I haven't run GFO in years. The pods are just an added bonus...
A cheato reactor will lower your phosphates just as effective as go for a fraction of the cost.