Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-12-2004, 03:54 AM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk_A_neer
when he pushed the kids face into the ice with all his weight behind it
Man, I have heard people saying this in the news, but I saw the game and saw the replays and watched it all again and again. I saw bertuzzi hanging onto moore's jersey and falling on top of him.

bertuzzi was holding moore's jersey so he could fight him. As moore was out cold from the cheap shot bertuzzi threw, he fell. As moore fell, you could see the jersey in bertuzzi's glove - stretched out... if bertuzzi was throwing moore to the ice with all his power, the jersey would not have been stretched out and visible because bertuzzi's gloves would be on moore pushin/throwing him down.

I think bertuzzi took a real cheap shot at moore. I dont think bertuzzi drove moore's face into the ice with all his force. I do think bertuzzi got what he deserved IF he gets the suspension for the rest of the season and the playoffs. Any longer then that and I think it is being unfair.

I do think this incident is yet another argument for wearing proper face protection.

I also think the league needs to reveiw ref'ing.

I dont believe marc crawford is at fault. I do believe the league is at fault for allowing shitty tactics like this fly for the past ten years. The game has seriously deteriorated into a match of hooking/slashing/poking/cheapshots and become much slower and less exciting to watch.

But hey, thats just my opinion
Old 03-12-2004, 04:13 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk_A_neer
Let's get this straight ... when 2 guys scrap on the ice there is intent to injure ... when Bertuzzi mugged this kid from behind with a sucker punch there was intent to injure ... when he pushed the kids face into the ice with all his weight behind it and still tries to get in another couple more sucker punches it shows that he is a coward and deserves to be held responsible if the injuries were more severe.
see this is what I don't understand.. we are saying the same thing and yet you keep arguing with me.. i am merely adding that they should have either waited to make a ruling till Moore's status will be known for sure and suspended him pending a ruling, or give him the full ruling now instead of letting the media influence there judgment.

if you want to know exactly where I stand I would have given him a 2 year suspension with a review at that time for reinsertion back into the league. mcSorly got the same thing for his incident and although they were a little different the intent was the same.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:22 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

You are the one that said a murderer gets a more fair judgement ??? ... is that right ?

So because I dont agree with that statement I am arguing with you ? ... well sure I am cause what you said is BS ... we agree that the book should be thrown at Bertuzzi but out of the other side of your mouth you state that he is treated unfairly ??

What exactly is wrong with the league suspending him from this season for sure and reserving the right to upgrade the suspension pending the outcome of the recovery of the kid ?

PS ... did you read the other part of that post you cut/pasted ?

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 03-12-2004, 05:22 AM

DiscusZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DiscusZ

The way Bertuzzi handled that show how gutless a person he is. Hockey has always been a Full Contact sport, and always will be. If you do not want to be check they should take up Ballet or something.

Tonight in the Calgary Sun they had some writeups, Bertuzzi is no Angel when it comes to this sort of thing, he has been suspended for "stupidity" in the past. He once kicked another player with his skates, has punched Referee's etc.

What he did I think is a little more worse than old McSorley clocking Brashear with his stick. These types of people have no place in hockey.

I watched that clip of Bertuzzi over and over, and it was premediated, it was planned. Even the coach was in on it, that $250,000 fine the Team got was nothing. Bertuzzi and May went out on a change (line match) (when Moore was on the ice), They never play together. That shows there was a vendetta going to be paid on that shift. Bertuzzi was skating around not even really following the puck, he know what he was going to do.

Personally what he got is not enough. If it ends up thar Moore does not play again, then that should be the end of Bertuzzi's career as well.

As for Naslund, his comment in the paper tonight mentioned something about not hitting certain players.. Like HELLO buddy this is hockey, its about checking etc.

here is a quote from Bertuzzi

The irony of it all is just two months ago, Bertuzzi called out Denis Gauthier for a comparatively tame open-ice bodycheck on Sami Salo, injuring the Canucks defenceman's knee at the 'Dome.

"That's not how you play hockey, that's dirt," snapped Bertuzzi.

"Playing hockey is hitting a guy clean, not going for knees and trying to hurt people like that.

What does he do attacks the guy from behind with a cowardly sucker punch.. imaging some on punching you while you are a sleep, your body is not prepared.

I hope Bertuzzi's career is over,. that was a deplorable act he commited and he should have the same fate as McSorely (and I am sure he will too have a criminal record and should miss 2004-2005 season as well.

Quote from above

I dont believe marc crawford is at fault. I do believe the league is at fault for allowing shitty tactics like this fly for the past ten years. The game has seriously deteriorated into a match of hooking/slashing/poking/cheapshots and become much slower and less exciting to watch.

Damn rights Crawford is also to blame, with all the stuff various Canuck players stated to the media that there was a bounty on Moore, Crawford could of told his players to leave it be, or fight Moore, and that if anyone did anything else there would be hell to pay. Crawford is definately at fault. Check the line change he did just before the said incident, Crawford sent Burtuzzi and May out on a Line match change (canucks had last line change).. come on folks we all know May and Bertuzzi never play on the same line, that proves Crawford knew what was going on.

Jim
Old 03-12-2004, 05:26 AM

fishnut is on a distinguished road
Default Bertuzzi's Actions

If someone on the street had assualted another person in the way Bertuzzi did, he'd be facing criminal charges.

Let's not excuse his actions because he was in a game.

The question is: will he be able to control himself in the future if he is allowed to play again, or will he injure another person ?

IMO, it is more important to protect players from serious injury, and set a healthy example for the kids watching their role models, than to minimize what happened.

If the whole team, the city , the province suffers, that's too bad, but don't exempt him from facing the consequences of his actions.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:46 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusZ
The way Bertuzzi handled that show how gutless a person he is.
I wouldn't call him gutless. He wanted to fight fair. The other guy didn't. Bert kept pulling on the guy's jersey to try to get him to turn around and face him and get into a fight. The other guy didn't because either he knows he'll get plummelled or he was following his coach's request to not engage in a fight and just finish the game. By calling him gutless, are you saying that you think Bertuzzi's too scared to take on the other guy? I'm not really a hockey fan but I was under the impression that Bertuzzi was one of the tougher, bigger guys in the league. I could be wrong.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:47 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bertuzzi's Actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut
If someone on the street had assualted another person in the way Bertuzzi did, he'd be facing criminal charges.
And if anyone bodychecked me on the street, they would also be facing criminal charges for bodily assault. Every hockey fight is also bodily assault. So basically, everyone should be facing charges in every game. I'm not saying that everyone shouldn't be charged, I'm just saying that if you want to equate real life to hockey, you have to be consistent and call all criminal acts as criminal.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:18 AM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Hey Jim.

Mcsorley didnt get anything on his record. I forget exactly what went on there, but he basically got off scot free.

I also am still not convinced that marc crawford said go out their and injure moore. Just cant see it happening. Also cant say I have NEVER seen may and bertuzzi share a shift. And, I have never, ever heard of any NHL player saying there is a "bounty" on another players head. Thats ridiculous.

Moore is expected to make a full recovery. He was doing quite well at VGH the other night I was told by some people I know who work there.

I am unsure what Naslund said in the paper... but you dont take out the top scorers in the league. Why does every other top scorer get special treatment (and top scorers ALWAYS have) and Vancouver players get no respect and no calls?

Finally, I completely agree with SamW here. When a player suits up for a game, he/she accepts that they will face the possibility of a fight or other roughness. There is no reason for the police to press charges, let the league handle it.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:51 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMind
And, I have never, ever heard of any NHL player saying there is a "bounty" on another players head. Thats ridiculous.
You are right ... it IS ridiculous for a player to say there is a bounty on the head of another player ... the sad thing is that a Vancouver player DID in fact say that ... that is why Bettman and Campbell were at the next game between these 2 teams ... it was a tie game and nothing transpired.

This past game was a blowout and thus Bertuzzi figured he had nothing to lose ( except the rest of the season & playoffs as it turns out )

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 03-12-2004, 06:56 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

I have to say that I agree with LostMinds statements, and also stick to my previous comments. The punch Bertuzi dished out was cheap, the fall was just that, a fall and the landing was bad. I never said that Bertuzi wasnt to blame, just that he is not the only one to blame... If the goverment(NHL) let people go around stabbing people(cheap shots) but said you cant kill them(serious injury), dont you think alot of ticked off people that got stabed(cheap shot) might stab(cheap shot) back and the result could go over the line, death(serious injury). The goverment(NHL) would not be doing their job...
The game as has been said, is not being run very well and the crap that players have been getting away with is only going to inspire more mob violence... I am a firm beliver that you are responsible for your own actions as is Bertuzi, on the same note, the leauge is doing a pee poor job of regulating the game like they are supposed to.