Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road
Default Spyd's 180G Mixed Reef

Hi everyone,

I have decided to start a tank journal. I run a standard 180G tank that has been running since August 2012. 3 sides Starphyre glass, Starphyre Eurobracing and external overflow. Stand is metal w/ custom maple wood exterior that uses magnets to snap into place.

The sump is located behind the tank in my furnace room. I also plumbed in a water change tank and RDSB tank that will eventually turn into my frag tank once things grow out. I run a Water Blaster HY10000 pump and have plumbed all my reactors and multiple tanks off of it. Works great and runs extremely quiet!!

Other equipment:

- 2 x Tunze 6101, 1 x Tunze 6105 and controller
- 8 lamp x 80w ATI Sunpower T5 fixture. 5 x Blue Plus, 2 x Coral Plus, 1 x Purple Plus
- Vertex UF-15 reactor w/ approx 500ml of bio-pellets
- BRS Dual Reactor w/ GFO and Carbon
- 3 x BRS Dosing Pumps - Cal ALK, Mag
- Elos Osmocontroller and 30G RO/DI resevoir tank.
- Vertex Puratek RO/DI unit.
- BK Super Marin 200 skimmer
- Apex Lite Controller
- 3 x 250w Ebo-Jager heaters

As for fish I have: Foxface Rabbitfish, Purple Tang, Fowleri Tang, Sailfin Tang, Hippo Tang, 10 x Blue Streak Cardinals, 2 x Leopard Wrasses, 2 x Yellow Wrasses, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Blacker Ice Clown, Snowflake Clown both are hosted by my Flame BTA, Ultra Maxima clam.

The highlight of my tank are really my corals. I have a lot of nice SPS and LPS. I am growing my chalice and acan collections right now.

So, lets get to some pics all ready:

Here is the stand in the early stages. Custom made. It sits nice and high so you can look in the tank at eye level. I lined the inside with white melamine.

Here is my initial aquascaping. I used all most all eco-reefer dry rock and only about 20 lbs of live rock. Most of the live rock went in my sump and only a couple pieces into the display.

Here is the back room setup: Sump below. Water change tank above that is directly plumbed into the system. Top left is my RDSB tank and under that is my RO/DI resevoir.

Here is a look at my tank about 6 months ago. A lot of the larger corals were moved over from my old 75G tank which I had running for a few years.

So here is my tank as it stands today. You can see my mammoth show piece Hollywood stunner isn't doing so hot. I went on vacation back in the beginning of December only to have my BTA split and house on the bottom of my chalice for a week. The chalice did not take a liking to it. Ever since then, I have been trying to nurse the chalice back to health and have not had much luck. Everything else in the tank though is uber healthy.

Side shot:

Individual coral Pics to follow.