Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road
Default filter sock?

how many of you guys use filter socks in your sump, i was wondering how or even if its a benefit of having one. thoughts???
Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

I have used socks for the last year. But with my new tank build I made provisions for floss instead.

I got tired of cleaning them.
They plug up, so they must be pulling something out of the water
Old 03-05-2014, 04:16 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I used to use socks, but not anymore,... replaced by a big sponge between baffles. Got tired of cleaning them. Sponge is much easier and quicker, and does the same job.

Did try going with nothing for a while, but that was definitely not good. Water not as clear, and skimmer needed cleaning more often, esp the neck, as it would accumulate crap more quickly.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I use filter socks I am am doing larger cleanings...ie scraping algae off glass, blowing rocks.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

In my old sump it had spots for 2 4" filter socks. They worked awesome, however cleaning them constantly sucked. They would plug up and overflow once every 3-4 days. I was going through a tonne of socks. It got too annoying cleaning my sets all the time.

So, I put a sheet of egg crate over the filter sock holders and clamped in filter floss. Worked about the same for catching stuff, only it lasted longer, and replacement was a breeze. I just cut a whole bunch of pads the same size and simply replaced it with a new one when required.

I also ran a larger mechanical filter inbetween baffles in my sump for larger stuff. It barely ever had to be changed. It was black very coarse stuff made for filtering ponds. Worked well too.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM

interesting, i added a filter sock to my system on monday and had to clean it today, it was brown!!! so it is working, i just looking for other options so i wont have as much maintenance. also aren't you guys worried with the socks or the floss that they become detritus traps and release detritus back into the system?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
interesting, i added a filter sock to my system on monday and had to clean it today, it was brown!!! so it is working, i just looking for other options so i wont have as much maintenance. also aren't you guys worried with the socks or the floss that they become detritus traps and release detritus back into the system?
As with anything left unmaintained, yes it very well could. But if you're maintaining your tank the way you should, floss or socks both need to be cleaned or changed regularily.

That being said, I prefer the floss. Its cheap by the roll. I only use like $20 worth a year, but take countless hours cleaning filter socks. Being able to just throw out the floss is much less work.

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 03-05-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:40 PM

sounds good im sold on the floss, now i just need to find a way to put it in my system.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Cleaning them isn't a big deal to me. I just toss the soiled ones in a bucket with some water and bleach and then once every couple weeks or so they get thrown in the washing machine with some more bleach, an extra rinse and then they are good to go.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
Cleaning them isn't a big deal to me. I just toss the soiled ones in a bucket with some water and bleach and then once every couple weeks or so they get thrown in the washing machine with some more bleach, an extra rinse and then they are good to go.
I do the exact same. However you can't argue with 20 bucks a year in floss replacement. Hmm. Now I'm left to ponder. Prob costs more a year just to wash the socks. Lol. I do like being able to siphon debris right from my display into the sock though. Which is probably easier for me to accomplish with my setup then with floss.