Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road
Default Talk me into a Apex!!!

I'm almost sold on a Apex controller. I work in a camp, 3wks in, 3 wks out. Would be awesome to be able to see my tank online. I have a PLC controller now, but no external monitoring or changes.

Headed to JL next monday so talk me into it!!

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I must say I'm pretty happy with mine. Best tank related purchase I've made in a while. It has everything I need, nothing I don't, and the expandability/versatility seems to be there in case my needs change down the road.

What really sold me on the Apex versus others was that the power bars each have their own 110V plug so multiple powerbars can be easily split among different breakers.

I'm thinking of getting the floor leak module. Once that's in place I'll probably get it to do the email alerts, as well as maybe shut my skimmer down (most leaks are because I've let the skimmer goo slop bucket overflow).

I say go for it!

My only hesitation was that the price of a controller could have gone a long way towards funding my eventual switch to LEDs. But if you don't have other big purchases on your bucket list then yeah totally go for it..
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

+1

I love having the apex and have just ordered the leak detection for the same reason bloody skimmer collection container. I use my apex for everything. Especially I ally with my iPhone app. No more plugging in and unplugging pumps with wet hand just a tap on my phone and begin the water change or whatever maintenance needs I have. Wish I had a fish to automate a water change.. But I find that the uses are endless. And I haven't even tapped into its true potential yet. But I will say every plugable device on my tank is connected.

I did have one issue with a powerbar but Paul at Neptune was awesome and there where no difficulties with warranty. If it wasnt for ups's screw up it would have been flawless. These guys care about thier customers. Just follow them on Facebook or twitter they go out of thier way to help ppl out.

So yes take the plunge and do it. Worth more than the money you'll spend

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I will do the opposite, get a Reef Angel with a wifi module. Does anything you want for half the price of an Apex. It even come with a ATO and 2 float switch. I put one for my top off and one to shut down my skimmer in case it overflow.

I love my Reef Angel.

Also if you are leaving town often, a webcam is a nice addition to the Iphone application for the controller. When I go on vacations I have my Iphone application where I can monitor salinity, PH, temperature etc, and I can control lights, pumps, skimmer etc, but I can also watch my tank with the high resolution web cam.

Last edited by daniella3d; 04-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Don't listen to her ^ , she's crazy!! Get the Apex already, you know you want it.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

BUY A APEX
You know u want it

I am on the fence between upgrading to apex or proflix so I am gonna tag in this thread.

360 Reef Tank
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The Profilux is definitely a nice unit but I chose Apex because it was quite a bit less, plus the power bars as I mentioned let you split among different circuits if you're trying to load balance. Also the Apex (at least the regular model) comes with a 8 plug power bar whereas I think it's 6 on the Profilux.

I would imagine it's hard to go wrong either way though..

Last edited by Delphinus; 04-10-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 AM

madchild is on a distinguished road

Another vote for apex. I love mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 AM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

Another vote for apex I despise digital aquatics. Reef angel looks interesting, would be deadly if it had more market control. Open source with a large community = win. As all problems can be fixed b the community
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Looks like JL will take 4 of my toadstool frags, So hey taxes will be paid on it HAHAHAHA

Umm, a tank or 5