Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

If you're a total noob to building a LED set up, you might be better off getting a manufactured fixture. The best info I can up with after a quick search on these drivers is that they are a constant voltage, non dimmable unit. They output 12 volts DC and the current delivered will depend on how your LED array is configured.

http://www.usa.lighting.philips.com/..._Atlas2012.pdf

The safest way to use one of these drivers is to build an array using MR16 form factor LED bulbs that are designed to run on 12 volts DC. These little spotlights have built in circuitry to ensure they run at the proper current, independently of the driver output. They are currently available with up to 4 LEDs per lamp and are designed to replace the Halogen spotlights in use for task lighting or store displays. I considered using these before deciding on 10 watt multi chip LEDs for my DIY fixture.

These are available on the online auction site at a pretty good price, as are the sockets. Haven't checked the colours offered recently but the good thing about them is they are designed to run on 12 volts & don't require any additional heat sinking. Once the sockets are wired up, a burned out lamp is easily replaced, plug & play. Pictured is the 4 watt version so you could hook up about 10 to 11 of these to each of the 60 watt drivers you're considering. I haven't come across any builds for reef tanks yet using these & I suspect it's because of the limited colour selection. AFAIK they're generally only available in the warmer whites or 6000-7000K cool white.

Alternatively, as mentioned you could use 10 watt multi chip LED arrays since the forward voltage they run on is between 9 to 12 volts in the colours we typically use in the hobby. Red 10 watt multi chips run at a lower forward voltage & they would quickly burn out using this driver. Using LED with forward voltages of less than 12 volts (such as the 3 watt Crees commonly found in many builds) would be a tricky parallel/series build with this type of driver & if a couple of them burn out or short circuit it would create a disastrous chain reaction, eventually burning out the entire array. My own DIY LED build uses White, Blue & Royal Blue 10 watt multichips hooked up to 12 volt power supplies & manual dimmers. fo mo info here's a link to my build.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82206

Above is a photo of the 10 watt Royal Blue multi chips I'm using in my parallel build. Note that the maximum forward voltage is 10 volts for these so any constant voltage driver delivering 12 volts would need a dimming control between it and these LEDs. The 12 volt power supplies I'm using are adjustable down to just under 10 volts & I use a dimmer to bring that down to run these at around 8 volts.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 PM

Reef Puffer is on a distinguished road

thanks guys. this is the info i was looking for. im not sure i could get into this right now? i dont know if it would be worth it? is there anyone interested in these drivers? maybe ill just pick them up and hold onto them? how many people would use them if they had them? how many people would just toss them and buy something better? i guess im still undecided? if someone wants to build me a fixture, the extra drivers are yours!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I'm using 3 60W 5300K Multi chips and 24 Cree 3W Royal blues. I have been searching for Multichip Blues!!!! Thank YOU!!! I have a possibility on a cheaper LED fixture for the masses. Just needed the Blues. Hmm my gears are turning now
Where did you find the Multichip Blues?

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Puffer View Post
thanks guys. this is the info i was looking for. im not sure i could get into this right now? i dont know if it would be worth it? is there anyone interested in these drivers? maybe ill just pick them up and hold onto them? how many people would use them if they had them? how many people would just toss them and buy something better? i guess im still undecided? if someone wants to build me a fixture, the extra drivers are yours!
I might be interested in two, maybe four of the drivers. Depends on the price. I'd offer to build you a fixture, but it could take a while. I have numerous unfinished projects on the go at the moment. Notorious for starting stuff & then procrastinating due to having fun at other activities!

@ banditpowdercoat, I snagged all my multichips on ebay from various sellers. Shop around & there are plenty of offerings. There's also a monster multichip thread on RC where they are getting a multi chip manufacturer to custom design them a 100 watt multichip with multi colours, controllable via separate channels!