Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-05-2015, 04:09 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road
Default RO/di machine headache

Hey guys just messing around changing my prefilters and trying to diagnose low production with my machine again had some questions ( I'm thinking my membrane needs to be replaced )

How much does your machine actually produce ?
How many drops a second do you get straight from your membrane before Di?
What's your waste water ratio?

It's a aquasafe Canada setup and have a booster pump on it now and have the upgraded BRS duel di resin containers, i believe it's a 100g a day membrane and I'm lucky to get like 10g now. I was behind in changing the prefilters so I attributed it to the pre filters clogged but Ive had problems with this thing before and am close to blowing it up

Right my pressure going to the membrane is 120psi and in getting approx 1 drip a second out of the membrane and the waste water is like free flowing (not a 4:1 ratio) but I got the flow restrictive it came with cranked as low as it can go
Also not getting my 85-96-% rejection rate

Is this the signs that my membrane is shot and would that slow my production to a halt or you think something else is at work
Old 09-05-2015, 04:49 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

What type of flow restrictor does it have? I haven't seen one with an adjustment. Got a pic? I couldn't even find anything with Google.

Have you tried removing all the filters and run the system empty to check for clogged lines? Or you can remove each line one by one and blow through it. If you have new pre-filters and the lines aren't clogged then it has to be the membrane.

Fwiw, you shouldn't have more than 100 psi going into the system as the fittings and housings are only rated to 100 psi. It sounds like you don't need the booster pump at all. What is the psi without the booster?

I have a 150 gpd RO membrane in my system and I've tested it with and without a booster. With the booster I get 85 psi and without the booster I get 62 psi. I use a 75 gpd restrictor with it which slows down the waste water, and I get exactly 1:1.7 either way. I get 130 gpd product water with the booster and 110 gpd without the booster. So I've decided there's no point in my using the booster. The membrane is 5 years old and it's made quite a lot of water, plus I use the slower restrictor so it isn't flush as much as it should (I have a manual flush on it), so that's why it's not running at the full 150 gpd.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 09-05-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:50 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Is that 120 psi before the prefilter, or like you said, just before the membrane?
Something is wrong with the membrane if you have 120psi just b4 the membrane but you are only getting 10 gal per day. Try back flushing the membrane.
What is the psi after the membrane? What is psi before membrane?
Possibly check your plumbing.
When I change my prefilter for the second time, I will change the carbon as well. The carbon wont clog as fast if your prefilter micron rating is smaller than the micron rating of the carbon.
The ro water to waste should be around 1:4
If your filters are all new and you have 120 psi, then you should get at least 100 gal/day from your system. After using for a while, the filters clog and u will get less
Old 09-05-2015, 04:55 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

adjustable flow restrictors:
http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/...p.qc-frnvs.htm
Old 09-05-2015, 04:57 AM

I think I'm going to chuck this thing out so done dealing with it

Unit is from Aquasafecanada.com

I changed the sediment filter and both carbon filters, I'm getting just under 120psi after those going into the Membrane, without the booster I have like 45ish
Sorry i dont have any other pressure readings after that cause the gauge is inline

I dont have a pic but here is the manual

http://www.aquasafecanada.com/maximu...-instructions/

Page 7 has the flow "restrictor"
Old 09-05-2015, 04:59 AM

flushed the pre filters and they all flushed fine lots of flow

I have the pump and the BRS Duel DI resin so can anyone recommend a good straight RO machine so i can blow this puppy up? lol
Old 09-05-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Ooo fancy. So Craig, what's the lowest setting on the flow restrictor that you have?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
flushed the pre filters and they all flushed fine lots of flow
Remove the RO membrane and try running it. You'll have you answer in 5 mins.

Edit: How old is the membrane anyway? If all you have to do is replace the membrane, that's a pretty easy fix.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:04 AM

membrane is approaching 2 years probably give or take
Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 AM

What's tap TDS? What size tank are you using it for? Trying to get an idea of just how "used" the membrane is.

SPS fanatic.