Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road
Default growing zoas

Ive had good success with growing most of my lps as well as some sps. The zoanthids seem to be the only coral that just doesnt appear to be growing or spreading over the last 8 months. I have two colonies that both look healthy and happy but these guys just wont grow! I target feed mysis shrimp/cyclopeeze and coral frenzy from time to time with the pumps off. I have tried moving them around the tank and that doesnt seem to help either. I was under the impression these are a relatively quick growing coral. Parameters are in check. Any ideas?

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

I find that the best growth I get out of zoas is in semi shaded areas... you could try that.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 PM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick00 View Post
Ive had good success with growing most of my lps as well as some sps. The zoanthids seem to be the only coral that just doesnt appear to be growing or spreading over the last 8 months. I have two colonies that both look healthy and happy but these guys just wont grow! I target feed mysis shrimp/cyclopeeze and coral frenzy from time to time with the pumps off. I have tried moving them around the tank and that doesnt seem to help either. I was under the impression these are a relatively quick growing coral. Parameters are in check. Any ideas?
Dont bother feeding them, if they eat anying it is disolved organics. Just give them lots of light and good flow and leave them be. make sure they are touching a rock or flat surface so they have room to spread. A little bit of iodine may help but be careful not to overdose.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

i was actually researching iodine the past few weeks. I bought a salifert iodine test kit but came up with nothing detectable. I do weekly water changes with IO but i guess this isnt replacing the iodine assuming the test kit is accurate. Im gonna give that a shot and try a few more locations in the tank, thanks!

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I really wish that books and the internet wouldnt classify zoanthids as an easy/beginners coral......they can be every bit as tricky as SPS.....what some people dont realize is, zoanthids are harvested from a wide range of "zones" ......some zoas are tidal and literally get exposed to the air at low tide and tons of light.....other zoas are deepwater and dont get exposed to much light at all(comparatively speaking).....so this makes generalizing about how much light and flow etc that zoa X needs, very difficult....you really do need to play around with placement.....but where ever you do decide to place them, glue them down.....they seem to never really settle in and grow if they are getting pushed around or knocked over....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I never have the slightest problem with my sps, but the zoanthids are a real mystery. I can have a colony thriving one day and the polyps are big and beautiful, and the next day they are all shriveled and tiny. No idea why. They don't seem to like me dosing with sodium carbonate either and shrivel if the change is too drastic in alkalinity.

I noticed that doing a water change always please them but it depends on the salt. I almost lost them all when I switched to H2O salt, and they are coming back strong now with IO Reef Crystal.

I had a colony invaded with pink hair algae and it was declining. I dipped it in 50% peroxyde hydrogen and 50% tank water. They seem to be doing well and the algae is gone and they are coming back better. The peroxide killed all the invading algae and pest and the zoa are doing fine. I am planning to do this treatment to all my colonies that are doing soso.

This is to my opinion the hardest coral to keep healthy for a long time. I have alveopora for a year and half and it's doing great....can't say the same for my zoanthids.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 AM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

Once I neglected my tank for over 2 months and they took off! I didn't do any water changes over that time and they spread all over anything they could touch.

In my new tank they stalled a little until I started using coral frenzy. They started spreading again.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 AM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

Agreed. My zoas do nothing. They look the same as when I first got them. No new polyps and some colonies are very slowly decreasing. Im not buying anymore zoas because they just wont grow in my tank.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember Charles Delbeek talking about how some of the most amazig zoanthid colonies were found in areas close to where raw sewage was being released into the oceans...

Generally, they do like "dirtier" water.

I have very mixed results with zoas too, agree with the poster who talks about how different habitats are found in nature...
the trouble is, its nearly impossible to replicate more than one biotope in the home aquarium.

Too bad you cant get more info on where each specimenoriginated from any of the LFS...I'm sure thats impossible but sure might make some of the trial and error easier.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:38 PM

Jex is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm I had my heart set on Zoas. They are so colorful, and most places on the web say 'easy and beginner ' coral.

Probably will still try them when my tank is ready for corals. It would be interesting to hear more on the different types and what conditions they need. Anyone know of good sites with good information on the different species?