Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road
Default My filtration is not working - needs to be replaced fast, what do you reccomend?

Just purchased the dual Carbon & GFO reactor from BRS and it is simply not working - They have tried trouble shooting with me online and we cannot determine the problem, they are sending a replacement part but I have doubts it will help. (Not working as in no flow coming out of product line - it is dripping painfully slow and my GFO will not tumble, it sits as a solid brick on the bottom).

In the mean time, (and probably to keep as my permanent filtration) I am looking to purchase a new filtration unit. What do you guys recommend? I have been looking at the Fluval G3 unit and really like the sounds of it - just not so sure I'm ready to drop $300 on it. However fellow reefer experiences and reviews/recommendations tend to persuade me otherwise...

Any other recommendations? What about Bio Pellets? Can a bio pellet reactor replace a Carbon & GFO filtration system?

Thanks guys I have to put something in there fast I just purchased some clams that I'm really afraid of losing!

Edit: My tank is 55g with a very small bioload - 5 small fish, 2 clams and 2 corals
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
Just purchased the dual Carbon & GFO reactor from BRS and it is simply not working - They have tried trouble shooting with me online and we cannot determine the problem, they are sending a replacement part but I have doubts it will help. (Not working as in no flow coming out of product line - it is dripping painfully slow and my GFO will not tumble, it sits as a solid brick on the bottom).

In the mean time, (and probably to keep as my permanent filtration) I am looking to purchase a new filtration unit. What do you guys recommend? I have been looking at the Fluval G3 unit and really like the sounds of it - just not so sure I'm ready to drop $300 on it. However fellow reefer experiences and reviews/recommendations tend to persuade me otherwise...

Any other recommendations? What about Bio Pellets? Can a bio pellet reactor replace a Carbon & GFO filtration system?

Thanks guys I have to put something in there fast I just purchased some clams that I'm really afraid of losing!

Edit: My tank is 55g with a very small bioload - 5 small fish, 2 clams and 2 corals
Are you just starting up the biopellets now or have you been running them for a while? If you are just starting them up then they will not filter your tank quickly. It can take weeks for the pellets to seed and do there thing. So just plopping new biopellets in today or tomorrow or even this weekend won't "filter/clean" your tank immediately. You can put the biopellets in a different reactor like a TLF 150 or some other media reactor that you might be able to find at your LFS.

If your phosphates are high you can throw some GFO in a filter bag and let it sit in your sump. You will have to aggitate the bag often though. This isn't the ideal approach but will work in a pinch if you're desperate and having phosphate issues. Ideally they should be fluidized in a reactor though.

Bio pellets are marketed with the ability to strip your tank of Nitrates and Phosphates so in theory you don't need to run GFO. However, that has not been my experience with them. I have to run GFO and biopellets together in order to eliminate phosphates in my tank. I know of people who are successfully using biopellets to strip phosphates and nitrates from their tanks though.

Biopellets are not a replacement for carbon. They are both used for two different purposes. Again, in a pinch you can always put carbon in a bag and dunk it in your sump if you don't have a fluidized reactor on hand.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Just gonna throw it out there but clams do fine with high nutrients, polishing your water is more of a benefit to corals as clams filter nutrients.

There's not a whole lot of science to reactors basically water in, through media and out again.....the rest is just novelty
Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

What pump are you using to feed the BRS reactors?

Do you have any other form of filtration on the tank right now?

How long has the tank been running?

What are you looking to get out of this filtration? Mechanical? Nutrient Export? Biological filtration?

More info = better help.

Edit: Is the only thing you have running for filtration at the moment just live rock? And skimmer?

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 12-13-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

On the canister filter side of things, I am actually a fan of them if you clean and maintain them regularily. I have a 40g right now with a new Fluval 406 on it, and it's been awesome. I took out all of their filter material, and replaced 3 trays with Live Rock Rubble, and the other tray with mechanical filter pad and carbon. Works well. Maybe something to look in to instead of the G3.

I like the ease of cleaning them too. Just shut it off, disconnect, and take to your sink to clean out. I always do a water change at the same time, so that I have a 5 gallon pail of salt water to rinse everything in. This way your not destroying bacteria with a freshwater rinse.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

You seem to be a bit confused about types of filtration so here is a rough breakdown of the few that you've listed. Canister filters, protein skimmers, fluidized media reactors, and solid organic carbon dosing are all used for different types of filtration. Canister filters physically trap and hold aquarium waste but do not remove it until you clean them out. The trouble with them is that many people do not clean them out frequently enough allowing the trapped waste to break down into nitrate. Protein skimmers remove waste from the water column before it has a chance to break down into nitrate. Fluidized media reactors are an efficient way to run Carbon, GFO or Pellets. Carbon removes yellowing compounds from the water making your tank look cleaner, allowing light to penetrate better. It also removes chemicals that your coral might release into the water to attack other coral within your system. GFO removes phosphate and silicate. Solid organic carbon dosing (biopellets) must be used in conjunction with a powerful skimmer (relative to your system volume). The pellets are biodegradable plastic that bacteria colonize and break down. The bacteria consumes roughly 4 times more nitrate than phosphate while doing this which is why some people still need to use GFO in addition to them and why they simply don't work for others.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
What pump are you using to feed the BRS reactors?

Do you have any other form of filtration on the tank right now?

How long has the tank been running?

What are you looking to get out of this filtration? Mechanical? Nutrient Export? Biological filtration?

More info = better help.

Edit: Is the only thing you have running for filtration at the moment just live rock? And skimmer?
Hi - I have a protein skimmer rated for a 200gallon tank, my tank is 55g. The tank has been running since January 2011 but we recently did a tank move from my bfs to my house and the water quality has really only been tip top for about 1.5-2 months (bf let the tank go to sh** at his house, this is why I took ownership).
What am I looking to get out of the filtration? Well I have a skimmer and live rock, that's it (I have a sump now too that I plan to put some chaeto in). So I would like my water to be more crisp, less cloudy (not that its super cloudy but it could definitely be more clear/crisp). I think there are a lot of suspended bubbles that are making it look cloudy, and I'm not sure why there are so many tiny bubbles...(they keep coming out of my return jet in spurts) I also do NOT have high nitrates or nitrites or ammonia...

If theres anything else you'd like to know please ask!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Are you just starting up the biopellets now or have you been running them for a while? If you are just starting them up then they will not filter your tank quickly. It can take weeks for the pellets to seed and do there thing. So just plopping new biopellets in today or tomorrow or even this weekend won't "filter/clean" your tank immediately. You can put the biopellets in a different reactor like a TLF 150 or some other media reactor that you might be able to find at your LFS.

If your phosphates are high you can throw some GFO in a filter bag and let it sit in your sump. You will have to aggitate the bag often though. This isn't the ideal approach but will work in a pinch if you're desperate and having phosphate issues. Ideally they should be fluidized in a reactor though.

Bio pellets are marketed with the ability to strip your tank of Nitrates and Phosphates so in theory you don't need to run GFO. However, that has not been my experience with them. I have to run GFO and biopellets together in order to eliminate phosphates in my tank. I know of people who are successfully using biopellets to strip phosphates and nitrates from their tanks though.

Biopellets are not a replacement for carbon. They are both used for two different purposes. Again, in a pinch you can always put carbon in a bag and dunk it in your sump if you don't have a fluidized reactor on hand.
Hi Kien! I actually do not have biopellets or a biopellet reactor - I have the BRS dual Carbon and GFO reactor that is not running properly. I have the cobalt maxi jet pump that BRS sells with the dual reactor as a whole unit. They think there is a faulty canister and are sending me a new one to see if that solves the problem - the water is simply not moving through the unit.

So if I could put filter socks in my sump let me ask you this: Instead, I have a tetra filter (this one to be exact http://www.aquariumguys.com/whisperpower2.html)
And I have the bulk containers of GFO & Carbon. Could I take the gfo and carbon and stuff some in a pair of pantyhose, one "sock" for carbon and one "sock" for GFO and stick them in either side of this tetra filter and turn it on until I can buy a proper filtration system? This way water is running through the bags rather than them just floatin around in the sump... If you think it makes no difference can I still stick the carbon and GFO in pantyhose and stick them in my sump? Or do I have to go out and actually buy little filter socks? Can you tell I'm new at this?!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Just gonna throw it out there but clams do fine with high nutrients, polishing your water is more of a benefit to corals as clams filter nutrients.

There's not a whole lot of science to reactors basically water in, through media and out again.....the rest is just novelty
This is true... if only the water would go THROUGH my reactor
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Ok, so you have a sump. That is good! Forget a canister filter at all. The sump is your glorified canister filter. Is there anything like live rock in your sump?

Now, does your sump have baffles? Are you using anything for mechanical filtration like filter pads or filter socks? Baffles and mechanical filtration will really aid in the removal of floating particles and air bubbles. Your skimmer outlet could be producing bubbles as well, so a good set of bubble trap-baffles before your return section will get rid of most bubbles. You could also have a small air leak in your return plumbing.

Hopefully the new reactor they send you will work. They are beneficial for sure. The carbon should clear up your water, and the GFO should get those phosphates down.

If you want to run carbon and GFO for now, you can put them in some media bags, and run them through a hang on filter, that would work just fine for now.

Tags
filter fluval bio pellet