Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-13-2008, 05:02 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv_reefer View Post
i'm setting up a sump pretty soon and was wondering if i go 100 micron can't i just wash it out once or twice before replacing it, or does it get way too clogged even from the first use?
They really need to go thru a full cycle in the washing machine to get clean. Rinsing them just won't get them clean enough. You could run it through the wash quickly each week. My tank splashes too much when the sock is off so I would have to keep the circulation off while the sock was in the wash. They are under $3-10 each, and it is much easier to have a few socks to exchange when they get dirty. When a few are dirty, put them all in the wash together to safe on H2O and electricity.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 AM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

When it becomes clogged (water flowing out the top rather than through the sock) you simply remove it and wash it. Handy to have an few extra but not a requirement. The bags last for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv_reefer View Post
i'm setting up a sump pretty soon and was wondering if i go 100 micron can't i just wash it out once or twice before replacing it, or does it get way too clogged even from the first use?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 PM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road

HI I don't use one but heard they work. How much media (carbon) does one put in them and do you tie it onto the pipe going into the sump or do you have it elsewere.

What other media's do other reefer use?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:33 PM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

I don't think many reefers are putting anything such as carbon in their filter socks. It would get too dirty and loose its effectiveness quickly. You would be better to put it in a separate mesh bag in the sump where it would not get so dirty.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Psyire is on a distinguished road

I perfer 50 micron, but each to their own.