Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 PM

EquiReef is on a distinguished road
Default New set up, need advice

So we set up our first reef tank in December. One is no longer enough. We just purchased a 35gal, a 75gal and a 135 gallon as well as a 35 gallon sump/fuge. Go big or go home right?

I want the 135gal to be a frag/coral tank only. Possibly with a section divided off for anemones. The other tanks can be used for sumps/fuges etc.

What size sump and what set up am I best to go with? The 135 is not drilled but is VERY thick and I believe tempered, will this be an issue to drill and is there a way to do it without drilling. My husband is a tool and die maker so I wouldn't be going at this endeavour on my own and he is pretty handy.

Best bet for lights?( don't want MH)

Skimmer?(do I need one?how big)

Powerheads? Or some other form of water movement?

Sandbed or no sandbed?

Basically just looking for any and all advice that can be offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Set up

Sounds awesome!

Many enthusiast are going with LED fixtures due to heat and cost effectiveness. Matter of preference....

As for wavemakers and pumps, Jebao is making some very affordable and controllable pumps (DC versions) and wavemakers (wp40s or wp60s) which would suit your system....

Skimmer is a matter of choice as they virtually do the same thing, (a redundant product imo) but properly rated for bio-load and system specs.... there are even DC powered skimmers now... (SkimmerKing) would know volumes in this department...

If you are going big, or go home kinda route....ECOTECH Radions with pumps and controller seem to be the way to go. Neptune controller. RO/DI unit, water change systems, dosing pumps, self cleaning skimmer cups...all depends on the budget!!
Good Luck
Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiReef View Post
So we set up our first reef tank in December. One is no longer enough. We just purchased a 35gal, a 75gal and a 135 gallon as well as a 35 gallon sump/fuge. Go big or go home right?

I want the 135gal to be a frag/coral tank only. Possibly with a section divided off for anemones. The other tanks can be used for sumps/fuges etc.

What size sump and what set up am I best to go with? The 135 is not drilled but is VERY thick and I believe tempered, will this be an issue to drill and is there a way to do it without drilling. My husband is a tool and die maker so I wouldn't be going at this endeavour on my own and he is pretty handy.

Best bet for lights?( don't want MH)

Skimmer?(do I need one?how big)

Powerheads? Or some other form of water movement?

Sandbed or no sandbed?

Basically just looking for any and all advice that can be offered.

Hi I've had a 90 gallon reef set up for 1.5 years and have enjoyed it a lot, it's a big learning curve with a few hiccup's along the way but a lot of fun.
I'll try and offer some advice from my experiences.

135 Frag tank: you probably could get away with the 35 g sump.
If you don't want drill then I would go with a good quality HOB over flow,
I recommend this brand >http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html
I used one on my first 50 g setup and it worked very well, never failed once.

Lights: You could use HO T-5 lighting, but for a frag tank I would go with a higher end LED system. I use and recommend these> http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/ I run AI sols on my 90 g with glass tops and they do a great job with most corals and are fully programmable.

Skimmer: If your doing frags only and a few inverts you may be able to get away without one with having a low bio load. I always had a few chromis in my frag tank to create a little more bio load and ran a skimmer. Vertex is a good choice and they offer most sizes.

Powerheads: Good flow in the tank is a must, a couple is a good idea.

Bare bottom or not : I went BB with frag tank simply because it was easier cleaning.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:41 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

So the tanks available for this endeavour are the following sizes:

38gal sump 12.5x19x36

73gal 19x18x48

18gal (box that fits on the top of the sump I assume for bio balls?) 16x17x15.5

129gal 24x72x18

32gal 29x14x18

As for what kind of corals I would like to start off with corals that are easily propagated. Leathers, acro, monti, Xenia, sun corals, favia, ricordia, acan, blasto etc.

I think we will probably run a skimmer it's just a matter of what brand to go with. Big ALS took us for a ride the first time around with our initial set up and I'm not going down that road again.

Is it possible to drill tempered glass? The main tank is a miracles tank and is extremely thick glass with no bracing.

I want to have an anemone tank, am I best to run a separate tank off the same sump for this or put a divider in for them in the main tank?

Radions over kessils? This is the current debate. Who has the best price on jebao?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:36 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

if the glass is tempered and you try to drill it, the whole pane will shatter. Drilling thick glass is no issue. Tempered would be a mess
Old 04-28-2014, 03:13 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

google tempered glass, and you will find a lot of info on how to recognize it.
Do not attempt to drill tempered as was stated.
take a look at this:
http://www.salt-city.org/showthread....ss-is-tempered
and
http://glass-fish-tanks.com/how-to-t...empered-glass/

If I go into my car in bright sunlight, and look through the rear window, while wearing polarized sunglasses, I find that there are light and dark patches in the rear windowe. Ergo, tempered glass
Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

i keep bubble tip anemones, the ones that have a clown living with them grow quite large. the ones with an anemone crab are also happy
if you have them in a tank with no fish and no metal halides they may not do well.

Last edited by pinkreef; 04-28-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: too many 'y' s
Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiReef View Post
radions over kessils? This is the current debate.radions any day fully programmable kessils you can't even dim with out buying a dimer from IKEA lol

j
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM

Ok, I will have to try and test and see if it is tempered. The glass is thick with no bracing at all so I am assuming it is tempered for strength. There is a stick on the bottom of the tank with a bunch of warranty info but it doesn't say if it is tempered or not. It is a Miracles tank however so maybe they will be able to tell me. Taking the tank to NAFB is not an option, this tank is never leaving my basement again, we had to hire movers to get it in the house in the first place. So I am thinking we will need a HOB overflow kit.

Where is the best location to put the HOB over flow on the tank? In a corner or in the middle? Should I have two? Working on a sump design at the moment, will most that when I finish it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM

So here is my idea for a sump/fuge. I want to run the 135gal and the 75 gal off the same sump This setup is going in an unfinished basement and the sump will be either beside the tanks or between them.

The sump will be 38 gallons with the fuge being 35 gallons. This drawing is horrible but you get the idea.

I want to run a phosban reactor and maybe a calcium reactor if needed but I dont know where I should run them from in the sump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump.jpg (21.8 KB, 27 views)