Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
i am going to asume that these are not reef safe????????
Hey Tony! thanks for the quick answer on that^^...in my tank I don't have any inverts other than a clean up crew (not many left after the coris wrasse finished them up) and a starfish. His tank mates are a pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns, a Copperband Butterfly and a Coris Wrasse (5"). That's it...and I don't "plan" on much more.

Hey Justin....he's in a 120g with lots of caves, rock etc. and one heck of a good skimmer! I do have a lid on the tank as I read as much information about them prior to the purchase. I think I may beef it up a bit more this weekend though just to be sure.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Justin you may well be correct. I'm only spouting off bits and pieces that I've read. I think it might have been wetwebmedia.com where I read the bit about a 20g, but it was something to the effect that the larger the tank with more and more rockwork increases the likelihood of you never seeing them because they can hide so well.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

I have wanted to get a n eel but i fear for all my inverts. fire, cleaner,camelback shrimp, porcelin and emerald crabs.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:32 AM

I most likely wouldn't have one with all those inverts...and I would, as Justin recommended have it in a larger tank...rather than a small tank.

Tony, I read the same thing about keeping them in a nano but don't think I would chance it.....some feel you will lose them in a large tank and never see your eel again...but I can see mine all the time...I do think they like to see what is on the outside or what comes up to their tank so place themselves somewhere where they can see you .. thus you can see them.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yeah, that makes sense ... I would think most reef tanks aren't really all THAT large anyhow that you would "lose" them in there.

So .. um .. more pics yet?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 AM

ha ha ha....not yet....will try tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road

Nice Eel, get a really tight well fit lid. Our 1st used salt tank purchase came with a snowflake. He didn't learn his lesson and one trip too many outside the confines of his home landed him in the dogs mouth .
Kim.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Argentiner is on a distinguished road
Default Eat cleanup crew?

Would this eel eat all hermits and snails? How about a full grown fire shrimp and black cucumber? Was thinking of getting one sometime in the future but was never sure what you would do for a cleanup crew. Was also thinking about a ghost eel...
Old 03-29-2008, 12:50 AM

He doesn't seem concerned about the cleanup crew....he is SMALL though. This is the smallest, as far as I know, of the eel family that is brought in for aquariums...correct me if I am wrong....I don't know that he could manage a full size cleaner shrimp or the like, nor do I think they have any interest in a cucumbers....it's not something I worried about and I don't think it's something you need to be worried about.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 AM

Here it is at feeding time...put in a couple of clams for the CBB and wrasse and to see what the eel would do....turns out he was pretty interested!!!!! Not shy AT ALL! I have seen him in the rockwork "swimming" a little when the halides go out....