Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM

Trabby is on a distinguished road
Default Runners?

I am not a runner or fitness buff by any means... Back in the day I ran for a couple months and really enjoyed it... My knees however did not... Now 15 yrs...20lbs heavier.. And many cigarettes smoked later... I'm wanting to start running... I would eventually like to run a half or full marathon.. ( it's on the bucket list so hopefully I have awhile) Obviously I should quit smoking.... I like smoking ....
So my question to our reefing runners...
How did you get started? What keeps you motivated?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Lastlight! Your time to shine!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Just a warning.. Prepare yourself. You are about to learn more about lastlight than you could have possibly imagined..
Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I think you can run a marathon on the wii fit game, this works great cause you can pause it for smoke breaks. Maybe this could be a happy medium?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Lol... That's ok... I really want to know what you guys' driving force is.... In reality maybe I can't be a runner? I do have a specific goal in mind I just don't know how to get there. I feel like there's alot of obstacles I have to get by first...
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I think you can run a marathon on the wii fit game, this works great cause you can pause it for smoke breaks. Maybe this could be a happy medium?
ROFLMAO!!! That's awesome!! But the wii marathon isn't on my list.. Although it sounds fun!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd start with a learn to run clinic, which trains with a walk/run interval. One you can run more than walk, start on some longer runs, say 5k. When you can run that with relative ease, start adding 5 or 10% a week. I run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, but eat well after the run. I trained a woman last year that was 20 or so pounds overweight, and day one she couldn't finish a k, after a month, 10k in under 60 minutes.

Make sure you get rest days in, eat well, and if you're older, don't push too hard through pain.

But I would certainly recommend a clinic at your local running store, the group atmosphere will provide motivation, and you can get all your questions answered.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Start on a bike at the gym. It will be a bit easier on you when you begin. Once your able to bike on a med-hard level for 30-40min straight move over to some running machines.

If you have alot of issues with your knees, start taking Glucosamine to help with your knees. You won't notice any effect but it will help strengthen your joints allowing your knees to take the pressure while running. I have messed up knee's and running on machines seems to be a bit easier on me. Hopefully next spring I can get outside and run but for now I find the impact on my knees to be to painful while running on concrete.

For me, I drink a thick whey protein shake before and after. I hate running on an empty stomack, makes me feel light headed and sick.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

There's not much to learn about me =)

I was a runner in high school about 15 years ago and was pretty good at long distance but I was only about 140lbs. I've tried over the years to get back into it but it lasts maybe 2 weeks and then nothing for months to a year. I bought a treadmill thinking it would be easier to commit to... down in a dark basement... ok there wen't 3 grand.

So I sold the treadmill in september after seeing Kien's running updates that he was posting to facebook. I learned about runkeeper which is an iphone app that logs your run with gps, gives you updates while you're out there and posts to facebook if you want. It motivates me for a number of reasons:

- you can't really lie about your run
- you see your friends' runs once they're on your runkeeper list
- i love stats and tracking trends so it becomes a bit obsessive

We just got Wii fit and no it won't even come CLOSE to what a run can do for you. Even running on a treadmill at a decent incline like I used to was only fooling myself I found out the first time I ran outside in years.

I'm not knocking the Wii, treadmills or whatever it's about doing SOMETHING. I didn't do anything. I'm about 25lbs lighter since mid september and feel great. I also have had bad knees and joints and to combat this I stretch religiously and do squats after my runs which I think builds supporting muscles around the knees. I'm certainly not very knowledgeable about running though this is just what I do.

So the key is a Kien in your life to kickstart the madness =)

Oh and I run on an empty stomach as well. I started with smaller runs and have built up from there. I love my chocolate milk after I'm home!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

I had a RAPID metabolism change back in Feb 2009 (people used to call me skinny @ 150lbs), and since then have gained slowy up to about 180-185lbs.

(I guess that's what getting married does to a man!)

So I've noticed my knees not feeling as good as they used to. I did the Grouse Grind 32 times this summer, and loved it except for my knees. (didn't lose weight -- I think it's mostly strength training)

I figure I'll start doing indoor treadmill running this december/jan/feb and get back to ourdoor running in March.

Last time I did outdoor running for 6 months, I lost 10-15 lbs (that's how I initially got down to 150-ish).

I find it REALLY helps to have someone (comparable) to run with otherwise I have no motiviation. Also treadmilling and cardio does help prepare you for the outdoors. If you can do 30 minutes of running on a treadmill, then you can do a 15-20 minute outdoor run around the neighbourhood...

If you have an iPhone, iTouch or iPod, look into the Nike running thing that you put in your shoe and it tracks your run. I have one at home.